Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 20-01-2006 , 06:09 AM

Installing Maya 7 into another drive?

Well to make a long story short, I formatted my drive (on which Maya was working great) and when i did this for some reason my computer made my friggin card reader my c: drive and my main HD F:

Well I didnt feel like formatting again to change it (and cant fidn any info on if/how to change it within windows without jacking up everything installed) and now I installed Maya but it keeps looking in the c:\flexlm for the lic file, I put it on my card that happens to be C and it worked fine but I dont want to be jacking the card out of my phone everytime I want to do some work.

I tried using the Install License thing and it is being moronic... I keep pointing it to the file like 300 times and everytime is says it failed to read it etc so I'm stumped..

Nothing I seem to do with the install lic. tool works and I want to know if anyone could help me get Maya working again....

Thanks in advance and sorry for the rambling (tired lol)

# 2 20-01-2006 , 10:20 AM

Bad instal

Hello,

I think you have instaled Win on diferent partititon.Try to uninstal everythink before you instal win , and format you're root because programs are having some values in the registry and when you reinstaled win you blow them up.Make a copy of FlexLM folder, and it HAVE to be placed on C:\.I now that you want to keep all the setting but sometimes you have to remake all of them, that's the way to learn it better.If the partition is still F:\ after that, try changing the letters from system manager->drive manager

# 3 20-01-2006 , 03:07 PM
there is only one partition on my hard drive, it got labeled F after I formatted a few days ago.

I would prefer to find a solution so I dont have to reformat my system again. And as for renaming the drive in drive manager that wont allow me to change the drive letter.. I already looked into that.

# 4 20-01-2006 , 03:23 PM
Subscriber

# 5 20-01-2006 , 05:11 PM
is it set in stone that this folder and file HAVE to be on the a drive labeled "c:"??

I think its pretty stupid if you cant install this program on any other drive label....

# 6 20-01-2006 , 05:42 PM
I did some more searching around and found this post so I figured I would repost it here to help anyone else, this method worked for me but Maya is still installed on F drive but the network C: has the flexlm folder with lic files in it worked like a charm.

ok ya that was me who just posted and i just stumbled across the solution so all who need the pertinent listen up... first of create a folder where ever you want, and call it whatever you want. this will be your new c drive. right click that new folder, properties, sharing, and select the box that says share this folder on the network and then select allow user to change files for good measure. now open my computer, tools and then map network drive in the first box select c drive as our new drive to be, then hit browse to find our new c drive folder. if you called it c drive or what ever you will find it by expanding entire network/microsoft windows network/ms home/ (yourcomputername)/ and it should show up right here. select it and you are off to the races. it should now show up in your my computer as c drive and maya should install fine... well it did for me anyways... hope this helps to all of us who like to make life just a little harder by straying from the social norms...(I never really liked that c letter anyhow)

# 7 15-06-2006 , 07:44 AM
Thank you, Fingersniffer. Finding an answer to this was the whole reason I joined this forum.