Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 07-07-2006 , 01:03 PM
looking very cool arran user added image
I really like your building designs and they are looking really cool now that you're "3D'ing" them user added image

this is gonna turn out coooool!

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 17 07-07-2006 , 01:09 PM
Subscriber
this "tree-dome" kinda reminds me of sim city.. I like it!
can't wait to see it finished!
user added image

The trouble with doing something right the first time, is nobody appreciates how difficult it was.
# 18 08-07-2006 , 02:00 AM
wow - thanks a lot for all of the kind words everyone. It's really great to get some feedback - especially when you are not feeling motivated. cheers! user added image

Here is a quick shot trying to get everything in place. At the moment I am thinking of placing my house on the edge of a canyon, maybe with some supports coming out of the rock to hold the base of the house. I also thought that it might be cool to have a tree on the edge, maybe with it's roots coming out of the side. What do you think? Just a few rough ideas...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by arran; 08-07-2006 at 12:54 PM.
# 19 09-07-2006 , 05:24 PM
Hello - here is another small update. I have started building the interior of one of the rooms. It's the first time I have built an interior and I am really regretting making all of the rooms round. :shakehead

At the moment I am planning on putting a garden and a hot tub on the top of a couple of the rooms and so I am trying to work out how to get the residents on to the roof. Possible ideas that I have had so far include having a ladder leading up to the roof, A spiral staircase possibly located in a seperate area to the side of the room or having an open area at the top of the elevator with walkways. I think I like this last idea best.

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 10-07-2006 , 05:34 PM
nice progress arran user added image

How about making more of the 'odd' from the words.
Maybe inverting the interior so it has four corners but the walls are convex instead of the concave effect you'd expect in a round room? It'd lose loads of space but would definately be 'odd' user added image

www.flash-fx.net
# 21 10-07-2006 , 10:22 PM
Nice idea t1ck! user added image

I had been thinking about maybe making some of the interiors square - Not sure if I will go for the full inverted concave effect, but I have been trying to think of ways to create more space for toilets, etc, and your idea has set me off thinking of a new approach!

Well, I have been struggling with dodgy internet connection for most of today - must be my turn! I did manage to do a bit of work on my project - I imported my vacuum guy to get a sense of scale and realized that everything was out of wack so I have been resizing the rooms so they all work together.

I have started adding an upper level with a balcony and walkways to each of the roofs and I also began building a bit of a podracer type vehicle to sit out front.

Any c+cs?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by arran; 14-07-2006 at 01:08 PM.
# 22 10-07-2006 , 10:23 PM
here is a quick shot of the vehicle so far...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by arran; 10-07-2006 at 10:25 PM.
# 23 12-07-2006 , 08:18 AM
looks like you're starting to have lots of fun with this one user added image

I like your little pod ships too, simple and cool.

As another flip to 'odd' how about inverting the whole scene so the buildings are coming out of the bottom of a rock face, not the top?
Also maybe make the walls not quite fully transparent so the whole idea of a private room goes out of the window (I'm sure this would appeal to those voyeurs out there...)

Si

www.flash-fx.net
# 24 12-07-2006 , 09:56 AM
19 year Veteran
This concept really sparks the imagination. Cant wait to see this finnished.user added image

# 25 13-07-2006 , 04:22 PM
Subscriber
Very nice Arran, i like it alot. Placing the house next to a ridge like that will give you some very cool options to play with. Integrating the house with the environment as you are doing will be very cool and unusual.

# 26 13-07-2006 , 04:26 PM
Subscriber
One more thing, it feels like house in a martian setting...a la "Total recall".

# 27 16-07-2006 , 01:20 AM
Thanks for the comments guys! user added image yeah, I know what you mean about the martian setting minstrel - I have always pictured this house in a desert like landscape.

Well, I have slowly been adding a few more details to the main structure. Taking in a couple of t1ck's ideas, I rebuilt the viewing dome at the top and added a more open room beneath the surface. I had been planning on building some of the interior spaces, but now I think I am just going to concentrate on designing the exterior scene. I must admit that I am tending to lean towards the more practical rather than odd - I guess I have been trying not to over think the words as they tend to lose their meaning, if you know what I mean...

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 16-07-2006 , 01:22 AM
Here is a shot of one of the other buildings and a cactus that I have been working on for the background.

Attached Thumbnails
# 29 16-07-2006 , 01:24 AM
and finally, here is a picture of the tree with the roots coming out of the side of the cliff.

Attached Thumbnails
# 30 17-07-2006 , 06:31 PM
nice progress arran, keep it up user added image

You could really go to town with little alien type things and insects that look like the tree branches - though that's not really architecture user added image
This would be cool in a fantasy type game.

www.flash-fx.net