Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 03-04-2007 , 07:20 PM
Subscriber

character

I have not practiced characters that much and I will start. This is my second character since I started doing 3d. How can I make the face better. Here are some shots of the model.I am happy with the body but I have so much trouble with the face.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-04-2007 , 07:21 PM
Subscriber
closeup of the face

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 03-04-2007 , 07:23 PM
Subscriber
side of face

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 04-04-2007 , 02:23 PM
Jr.Who
Your main problem is that the face is too wide. That makes the mouth too big, and the nose too big. The ears are gigantic, and IÕm not even going to comment on the eyes. The only problem with his body is that his stomach area is long.

You said that was your second model right? user added image

# 5 04-04-2007 , 03:00 PM
Subscriber
Dude you really really need to work to reference material. You're always going to have problem areas with characters in terms of proportion unless you're a)very experienced or b) working to ref.

It's much more difficult than it looks getting a character to look right. We see people every day and for that reason, we can spot flaws very easily. Even if we don't know exactly what the flaws are, even the most unartistic person can spot something that doesnt look right.

If you work to ref you leave little to chance, and your models will instantly look better, and from there its just practice. Even better - study some simple anatomy and basic 'drawing the human form' rules. For example: eyes should generally be an eye's width apart, average human head is 5 eyes wide. Human body is average 8 heads high etc etc. Good luck & have fun user added image

Last edited by petrol; 04-04-2007 at 03:02 PM.
# 6 04-04-2007 , 03:46 PM
Subscriber
the red are the things i reckon you should fix up, thats my two sense... then we will work from there user added image

user added image

# 7 04-04-2007 , 04:28 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Your main problem is that the face is too wide. That makes the mouth too big, and the nose too big. The ears are gigantic, and IÕm not even going to comment on the eyes. The only problem with his body is that his stomach area is long.

You said that was your second model right? user added image

yes this is only my second character model. I always work on environments.I made the upper torso longer than the legs on purpose, that is just my own personal style. I wasn't going for a total realistic look. The face modeling will take some practice. Thanks for the coments.

# 8 04-04-2007 , 04:30 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by marlonjohn
the red are the things i reckon you should fix up, thats my two sense... then we will work from there user added image

user added image

Thanks marlon john.

# 9 04-04-2007 , 04:42 PM
Subscriber
anytime, its a pleasure to help others since this is the place i got helped out user added image

if you dont mind, could you post a wireframe of your face since it helps alot to have edgeloops ...