Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 12-11-2004 , 12:55 AM

Video Card

Hi everybody! I'm new here and I have a question for the "wise" guys of this site... is it true that the ATI Radeon Video Cards don't work that well with MAYA? I'm a little worried ´cause I just bought one of those Video Cards.

Thanks,

Eduardo

# 2 12-11-2004 , 03:05 AM

Re: Video Card

yes unfortunately its true. i've got a 9800pro myself, and using Maya 5. after a while i notice a major slowdown for a couple seconds, which is merely a warning of what's to come. if i keep on modeling after that warning, eventually it slows down really really badly, and ends up causing the 9800 to do a VPU recover.
so i usually just restart maya after that initial slowdown to be on the safe side, but since that's maybe 15 minutes after i load it, its kind of a pain.

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 3 12-11-2004 , 07:03 AM
I never really have any slowdowns, and I'm on a radeon 9600 pro mobile. The only thing I do notice is that with paint fx and while working with surface points or isoparms there is a red trail left behind where the pointer was until you stop dragging. That's a real pain, but you can work around it for the most part. Also, it seems the lasso tool has a similar problem.

"We don't actually need to know that the main character has a past. All we need to know is that he has an objective and a lot of people are going to die and a lot of innocent inanimate objects are going to be destroyed and blown up before he can complete that objective."
# 4 12-11-2004 , 08:56 AM
Subscriber
If that is the radeon card i am thinking of then the reason why you dont have any problems is because it is onboard on a laptop it does not work through the AGP slot - Maya does not work with the Radeons through the AGP slots very well - they are like old married couples that keep arguing about cats crapping in the garden!!!! user added image user added image

# 5 13-11-2004 , 12:32 AM

Thanks

# 6 18-11-2004 , 07:59 AM
Subscriber
hey i have that red trail on my curve point also. Its definately annoying. I'm also using 9800 xt and 9600/9700 mobile.