Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 46 21-04-2005 , 08:33 AM
Subscriber
Hi paul.

The UV mapping looks like its coming along pretty damn great - although I'm not sure if I find it as relaxing as you to do!!

LisaG :p

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 47 21-04-2005 , 10:07 PM
Subscriber
the uv co-ords look pretty damn good! textures will fit over there like a charm!! you must have spent a fair amount of time to get that right... ive always hated uv mapping lol- stresses me out user added image but great to see your doing well!

you going to animate this model by anychance? pretty cool if you did user added image

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)
# 48 22-04-2005 , 01:05 AM
Subscriber
MainlineX,

I am the Grand Master when it comes to confusion user added image . . at least I can claim to be an expert in one field.

lisa,

When I said relaxing I should point out I was doing the UV mapping around 5.00am in the morning so it didn't take much for me to get into the relaxed groove so to speak.

Cung,

Yes its coming along slowly, but it is getting there . . . . lets hope I can do it justice when I get into Photoshop (straight after this post). Yes I am going to animate and hopefully in conjunction with Live footage.

Cheers
Paul

# 49 22-04-2005 , 11:13 AM
Subscriber
Did an hour and halfs worth.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

And the worst part, we have a full weekend ahead of us so no Maya . . . Man!!!!!!!!

BTW: And comments are welcome even at this early stage.

Cheers
Paul

# 50 22-04-2005 , 01:39 PM
ahhh starting to really come together bud.. looking forward to see more updates...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 51 26-04-2005 , 06:21 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Kurt,

Well editing my UVs while in Hardware Texturing Mode and my ATI card didn't mix too well. On Saturday my PC must have crashed like 20 times in the space of 3 hours!! Complete lockups requiring a Hard Reset!

Today I went out and purchased a New Geforce card which seems to be doing the trick. Hopefully I will have a few more progress pics to share.

BTW: Does anyone have an idea as to why this would be happening ?

Cheers
Paul

# 52 27-04-2005 , 09:06 PM
Subscriber
Did some more work on the Spit . . . no crashes this time user added image

Hopefully bit more detail soon and bump map to follow.

Attached Thumbnails
# 53 27-04-2005 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
Looks great, but it gives you the impression that its a plastic model and not the real thing..
You gonna dirty it up a bit ?

# 54 27-04-2005 , 09:29 PM
Subscriber
Yes I will make it dirty and add some corrosion etc to the model. Man I think at the moment it's cleaner than they came off the assembly line user added image

Cheers
Paul

# 55 28-04-2005 , 02:28 AM
Subscriber
Most of the Decals are now on.

Attached Thumbnails
# 56 28-04-2005 , 07:01 AM
Subscriber
Looking good. How about texturing it in the Battle of Britain colours? These were essentially the same as the ones you have there, but with black and white stripes on the wings, to aid identification. Technically, this model wouldn't have them, being a later version of the Spitfire, but I really do think they look good in that livery.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 57 28-04-2005 , 08:25 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Malcolm,

Where are the Black and White stripes located on the wings. I have around 50 or more pics, but none of mine had any stripes on the Wing. I'm less worried about Authenticity now since there seems to be variations even with the same Model Spitfires. If you can point me to a picture of one, I will add them if they look good.

Cheers
Paul

# 58 28-04-2005 , 11:20 AM
Subscriber
Unfortunately, the only pics I know of are in a book I have, but I'm nowhere near my scanner at the moment. They are located between the fuselage and the tubes sticking out of the front of the wing, and run front to back, on both the top and the bottom.

I believe it was either Churchill or Sir Hugh Dowding, head of Fighter Command, that ordered they be painted on, so that there was no confusion about which side the plane was on, particularly for the flak batteries on the ground. Of course, they were not really needed for the Spitfire, due to its unique elliptical wing, not used on any other aircraft during the war, but was useful on other aircraft, such as the Blenheim, which could be confused with the ME110 (both had two engines, and were of a similar shape).

I'll have a look this evening, and see if I can find a picture somewhere for you.

***edit***
Picture
Pic2
Pic3

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805

Last edited by kennez; 28-04-2005 at 11:29 AM.
# 59 29-04-2005 , 01:44 AM
Subscriber
Its a striking look user added image thanks for the pictures. Most people I've show hadn't seen that paint scheme before, so I'm going to stick to the current version, since most people will relate to it.

I'm guessing not many were painted this way?

Cheers
Paul

# 60 29-04-2005 , 06:50 AM
Subscriber
Any RAF aircraft that took part in the Battle of Britain was painted this way, simply to aid in identification. After the Battle of Britain, and the Blitz, they were returned to the full cammo version that you have seen in all of the pics that you have looked at.

Cheers,
Malcolm