Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 20-01-2006 , 07:17 PM
Subscriber

Flatteing a shape of a ball from an image

Hi there all,
I found an image that has all of the 16 billard balls and I would like to flatten them so that they can fit within the unwrapped uv's of my spheres that I created for my balls. So I was wondering what would be the best way to do this? If I am correct, I think that HDRI shop can do this. Is that correct? If so, then is there any way I can make my image as an HDR image? By the way I haven't downloaded HDRI shop yet. It is just that I hear about HDRI shop so much that I am just wondering if this possible?

Also has anyone found anything that explains more about HDRI, other than it is a higher quality image, and you use these types of images for rendering reflections?

# 2 20-01-2006 , 10:56 PM
Subscriber
Please give a link to your balls image. I don't understand what transformation you would.
If i understood correctly you would work 10 times harder to have your balls textured user added image

Well, post a link please, i'll tell ya more after user added image

# 3 20-01-2006 , 11:27 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Pyrus
Please give a link to your balls image. I don't understand what transformation you would.
If i understood correctly you would work 10 times harder to have your balls textured user added image

Well, post a link please, i'll tell ya more after user added image

Oop's, I ment to do that but I guess because I was in such a rush posting this question, I forgot. Sorry about that.

Also, about your thoughts of working harder, I wanted to use the highlights that are already there considering that this is for my game, and all of my lighting will have to be baked. This is because shockwave doesn't support the 2 following things: 1. it doesn't support shadows, 2. shockwave can only handle up to 8 lights, where as I have at least 10 already.

However, if their are any other ways I am all ears user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by junkyBob; 20-01-2006 at 11:32 PM.
# 4 20-01-2006 , 11:46 PM
Subscriber
Yups I remember 'bout the game no worry hehehe.

The problem is that if you bake some HDRI like reflections and highlights, it'll look totally unatural when the ball will rotate. It won't look as highlights and reflections, but only as weird dust on balls. Now if the ball is only moved along a horzontal plan, without spinning, than you could try the trick, but it'll look weird too (cause of the numbers and lines).

That's why I thought you would work hard for this, but with a strange result user added image

HDRI is only a RGB 96bits texture (no alpha). Used for reflections, highlights&lighting a scene, why the new IBL node in mental ray, or through GI (simply applying a true 96bits HDRI or a false hdri, rgba32Bits, mainly as backdrop for reflections (lighting with it would be a bit too weak).
Well, that's shortly said about HDRI but this means it can't be baked on a mesh if it's animated. user added image

About HDRShop, it can, indeed, unwrap a mirror ball (360*360 or 180*180° close up) image and have it transformed into some angular map, which is the one you intend having for your UVs. But i really don't think you should go in this direction or ....

EXCEPTION :
If you had planed to make a snooker game, than you could bake the HDRI (well, not a HDRI but the balls textures with reflections) and have a nice feeling. Cause snooker balls don't seem spinning even if we know it. So you could have just slided the balls horizontaly, without spinning, and with baked reflections.

Hope i'm clear enough user added image

Last edited by Pyrus; 20-01-2006 at 11:49 PM.
# 5 21-01-2006 , 04:32 AM
Subscriber
One question. What is a snooker game?

Also, after looking at this one game from shockwave, there are no reflections. The only thing there is on the surface of the ball is specular hilites. So in the mean time I am creating a simple animation, and then I will upload it to my sevrer for you to have a look at. Shockwave does have illustions of reflections, so I am going to try to minic that and I will let you know.

Thanks pyrus.

# 6 21-01-2006 , 11:36 AM
Snooker - Its a grown up version of pool!!

https://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...er/default.stm

Tell us how you do man. I need to do something similar by making CG balls on a real table using a reall "break shot footage", was gonna make a HDRI map for the reflections using photos taken at the piint of film capture