Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 23-01-2006 , 09:07 PM

problem with aim constraint

I want to keep a spotlight pointing at a group, so I select the group by clickign on a part and then click up, then I shift click the light, choose constraint->aim, but then the light just points to the side, and doesn't point at the object at all. any ideas what might be wrong?

# 2 23-01-2006 , 10:31 PM
dont use the aim comstraint, if you are running v 6 and up, you use the "t" key and it makes a constrain for it (that is actually part of the light)

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 3 24-01-2006 , 05:31 AM
cool, thanks. how can I keep the target stuck on one object all the time?

# 4 24-01-2006 , 11:40 PM
first select the model then shift click the spot light target, then press p (lower case) to parent the target to the model

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 5 25-01-2006 , 09:44 AM
Thanks. Is it possible to key parents, so that say a camera is pointing at a car for one part of an animation, then it swings to point at a different car?

Incidentally I also found my problem with aim constraint, which I will put here in case anyone else has it and finds this in a search. It seems the constrained axis was 1,0,0, but normally the light points along the z-axist, and not the x, axis, so to get the light to point at something that you constrain it's aim to, change the constrained axis to 0,0,-1