Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 14-12-2006 , 02:57 PM

Maya8 duplicate prob (Dog tut)

Howdies from a complete Maya newbie. Friend of mine who works with modelling left me a laptop with Maya8 while he's on vacation (for 6months user added image) Caught my interest, and thus i stumbled across SimplyMaya tutorials.

Currently on Kurts Cartoon Dog Tutorial, and I've encountered a slight problem. So far I've modelled the individual objects, and is now trying to "mirror" the legs and ears. Problem is, it seems Kurt is using a different version of Maya, so I dont get the same options for Duplicate. Sort of figured i have to use Duplicate Special, but that leaves me at another problem.

The legs/ears gets properly duplicated across the Z axis, but they are not "mirrored", only copied and moved as-is. I've tried adding some rotation, but obviously that turns out wrong, since they cant be rotated to fit the other side of the body, but has to be "mirrored" (?).

user added image

Any help would be greatly appreciated user added image

PS Have tried Mirror Geometry, but my "selection is invalid". Could also use Maya7PLE but I'd rather figure how it's done in Maya8 while i still got access to one.

# 2 14-12-2006 , 03:37 PM
- While in front view, select your dogs leg and press INSERT,
- hold X and drag the pivot to the middle of your dog/the middle axis, holding X makes it snap to the axis,
- Press INSERT again, so that the pivot isn't movable anymore,
- go to duplicate special OPTIONBOX,
- edit -> reset settings so you know everthing is correct.
- you see the Tanslate, Rotate and Scale boxes, the first Scale box has to be -1 instead of 1. Change that and hit apply.

Now you can select each leg individually and go Modify -> Center Pivot so it's centered.

Repeat steps for ears.

Last edited by IJke; 14-12-2006 at 03:40 PM.
# 3 14-12-2006 , 04:07 PM
Thats it!

Thanks alot for helping this nub... Much appreciated indeed user added image

# 4 14-12-2006 , 05:04 PM
No problem, I've just started myself a month ago. When I first opened the program I thought I'd never understand it, but the tutorials here and everywhere (Beatles?) are quickly making me better and better.

Good luck and don't give up, I know I will not!

# 5 16-12-2006 , 03:20 AM

Seems a nice work!!!

Hey first impression is the most important man... put your work after finishing....

Seems a real great job.... But how to forsee???????

jus FINISH the model the best way you can and publish... Dont take too long....

prof
# 6 19-12-2006 , 05:17 PM
ipranawake: I believe he is asking for some help to fix a problem. I am sure that when he is done he will post it in the finished work section.

Know what you're looking at first before posting any comments.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 7 27-12-2006 , 02:26 PM
Dave is absolutely right. It's not an attempt at showing off my (lack of) skills at modelling, just to show what my problem was. As you can see, that image is taken quite early in the tutorial and is by no means meant as a finished project. It's just the basic shapes before even the slightest detail is (attempted to be) added. user added image

Just to clarify and release myself of all suspicions of wanting to show off leet skills.