Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 02-12-2008 , 01:37 PM

Render Network ideas to help set up

Im wondering if I can render with my laptop and desktop. I have a few questions to anyone that might have tried this. First do i need both versions of maya installed on the machines and do they have to be the same version? Second, would it be possible to just use the mental ray standalone? And lastly, how do i begin to setup a network? Im hoping this will speed up the rendering a little bit.

# 2 02-12-2008 , 02:47 PM
Look up netwoirking first before trying anyhting.

Your best off with a render manager, Smedge is a good one but theres dr que and spider that are pretty good too. They all require the software to be on the other machines, and give you the options to use the different renderers ther eoff (and other softwares too)

They all need quite a bit of fideling with to get going but are well worth it. But TBH I would just use either the desktop or the laptop (whicever you dont really use) for rendering and just use that, that way you can keep working on the other. Render frams are great when youve got a few PCs to use.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 02-12-2008 , 06:05 PM
It's not a good idea to render a scean with laptop , i mean a scene which requires days of render. Once i was put a scean on a laptop and render it for a few days but the laptop "burn out". This is coused by the laptop cooling system you can see that the cooling system on the laptop is more simplifyed than the desktop , this is equal to lower quality of cooling ( in general there are exceptions of course). What i mean by that is becareful what you are doing user added image. I have desktop PC now and no problem with long renders ... i'm thinking of buying laptop only for modeling user added image.

Last edited by ColdWave; 03-12-2008 at 04:50 AM.
# 4 03-12-2008 , 04:41 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Scene....not scean, sorry Coldwave, I have to correct your spelling

cheers

_yaJuser added image

# 5 03-12-2008 , 04:50 AM
:p user added image