Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 03-01-2011 , 10:17 AM
Modeled a couple of benches and didn't really like the look much so I decided to use the bench I modeled for my Community Project. All I did was uv map and add some textures. Still needs work though but I'll wait and see how it'll look in the composite to know what changes to make...I think. Any suggestions are welcome of course.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 17 03-01-2011 , 11:18 AM
The Nurb Herd
hey man, you should build some proxy geometry for the building and a ground plane and set up your camera first.

# 18 03-01-2011 , 05:58 PM
Thanks honestdom, I'll go ahead and do that then. I have a job interview in a bit but afterwards I'll set up the shot and post an update.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 19 03-01-2011 , 08:43 PM
The Nurb Herd
nice, good luck with the interview. user added image

# 20 04-01-2011 , 02:12 AM
Ok, I set up the camera and added the objects I've made so far. I also added two directional lights and lined them up to match the image. Havn't done any tweaking to anything, just set everything up. Here's where I'm at right now.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 21 04-01-2011 , 02:32 AM
Lifetime Member
sweeeeetttt

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 22 04-01-2011 , 03:14 PM
wow looks like you've finished already user added image lol ive only just noticed the new comp and fancy entering. the last one seemed like agggess ago.

Nice work by the way, i too was expecting the R to have some red in it lol.

# 23 04-01-2011 , 04:24 PM
Thanks. Yeah, this is a pretty simple challenge, not too much to it really. A person could litterally do it in less than a day...easily. I'm surprised there's not alot of people joining this one actually, especially since it doesn't demand much of the artist's time.

Hmmm, two people expecting to see some red eh? I think that justifies me experimenting with red then user added image

Exceed Expectations!
# 24 04-01-2011 , 04:43 PM
The Nurb Herd
haha, that is looking good and the ground sign sits quite nicely. but I think you may be under estimating the process a bit. its not that easy to do it properly, but it depends on what you are doing i guess. I agree for an image like this its pretty straight forward tho.

# 25 04-01-2011 , 10:04 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
It does look good, I agree with Dom, it can be a real mission to do this type of work. I will be asking for as karge a render as possible for the fianl so I would make sure it all works at a higher res.

You could add more to it, such as some extra plants near the lower sign just to get it to sit in the photo, also perhaps a street lamp or even a vehicle

Jay

# 26 05-01-2011 , 04:07 AM
Thanks Dom and Jay, it's great to get feedback like that. I really like the sign and plant idea. I spent some time searching for a free vehicle but so far I havn't found anything I like yet. I'm looking for things that have a certain realism to them and so far the free vehicles I've come across look too fake if you know what I mean. But I could model a lamp pretty easily and add it in. I'll try the paint effect bushes/plants to see if I can get something that matches or fits with the image.

Exceed Expectations!
# 27 05-01-2011 , 07:52 AM
I modeled a lamp for the scene. After I texture it I'm going to model a trash can like the ones I see around alot of office buildings right before you walk into their front door.

Edit: Looks like I forgot to add the bolts around the mid section.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 05-01-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Add more info to text
# 28 05-01-2011 , 07:54 AM
Lifetime Member
Wow you guys have fancy lights!!! nice work so far

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 29 05-01-2011 , 11:42 PM
Nah, we don't have lights like that around here, it's based on a reference I found on google. Here's a trash can I modeled for the scene. I'm going to put it by the front door. Alot of the offices around here are like that.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 30 06-01-2011 , 12:32 AM
I've placed the lamp and trash can in the scene. Still thinking of what else I can do to the scene before I start rendering out in passes and making adjustments and such.

Edit: Just to let you know, I am aware that the trash can's reflection is going across the paper. Just some of the adjustments I need to make still. Like making the concrete supports of the bench slightly wider and making the back of the sign solid, etc. user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 06-01-2011 at 12:45 AM. Reason: adding more text