Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-04-2011 , 07:56 PM
DangerDave80

Music Video

Ok im a little reluctant to put this up due to the awesome level of work on this site but i thought it would be kind of cool to look back in a couple of years to see how far i progress in Maya.

Anyway, i've just finished my 3rd year group project in Napier University which was a music video for the band Enemy Poets. Before you watch it though i just want to point out that this is the first animation any of us in the group had ever done so its pretty twitchy in points and our timing is out a bit with lip syncing a few times but all in all i think we did pretty well in a really short space of time. We basically had to learn as we went user added image

Anyway id be grateful if you folks could watch it and rip it to shreds if you really want to but as its a prototype your feedback would be appreciated. There are obvious things that need fixed but just let me know what you think! Thanks everyone! I think! lol!!

YouTube - Enemy Poets - The Time

This train is insane!!
# 2 08-04-2011 , 09:11 PM
The thin red line
Hi dangerdave80
I liked the concept of the video and most of the ideas work that were in it, Thing that I did not like were the animation of the typing and the compition of the special effect. I think you have pointed some of these things any way. Good try............dave

# 3 08-04-2011 , 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
I think this should be in the finished work section or the W.i.p section since its a prototype. Some of the fundamentals are missing in action but you guys got assigned this task anyways, I don't know the details of your course but props to you all for pulling this off.

The biggest thing that bugged me about the animation aspect of this was that the band was standing around doing pretty much nothing, even when the song was climaxing.

The lighting/shading. I get the office shots, the employees are supposed to be corporate marionettes on autopilot and everything is supposed to be grey and lifeless (I think part of that is a gamma problem) but the lighting is ambiguous, its not natural light and its overly bright and encompassing to be to be ceiling fluorescent panels. Then I noticed the band on the roof has no shadows whatsoever.

The glowing light trails don't seem to be apart of the scene at all, They're quite saturated for the time of day and they have no effect on they're surroundings.

It's actually pretty good for a first crack at it. Keep at it.user added image

- Genny
# 4 09-04-2011 , 09:42 AM
DangerDave80
Thanks guys, I actually expected much worse criticism than that so thats cool!user added image

I actually agree with everything you said, and its some great advice so thanks for that. We actually formed as a group of 5 around 2 months ago and we all had some beginners knowledge of modeling in Maya. In that space of time though we had to learn how to rig, bind and animate which was no easy task as we all had no experience at all in animation. Our 3D teacher actually told us that to even produce a prototype in such a short amount of time was near enough impossible at our level and he was totally blown away when we presented it to him!user added image

Actually, what you pointed out with the shadows on the stage is a good point and i think il put that to the rest of the group. The animation is really basic but I think that now I understand the basics, the next project I do should be a lot better! I hope!user added image

I think in terms of lighting etc, we did cut a few corners and that is aparent, the main issue we had was render time as the Uni computers shit down after a certain amount of time so some quality was comprimised. Also the city was modelled by another member of the group and had around 10 million polygons so was a complete nightmare to render.user added image

Seriously though guys I really appreciate the comments, and like I say, It would be kind of cool to look back after a while and see how much i progress!

Cheers

This train is insane!!