Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 106 14-07-2003 , 12:11 AM
Thanks guys. I've already tweaked this angle a bit more. My intention is to make a "helicopter angle" as well and then cut between the two. Maybe a third angle at sea level from behind would be appropriate too... not sure...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 107 14-07-2003 , 09:36 PM
This is just a test cut. Still lot's of errors to correct but at least you can get the idea what I talked about in previous post. I think I will not add a third angle as there would be too many cuts then...

I know the boat is airborne at the end and the sea is penetrating the decks but other than that C&C is welcome...

Attached Files
File Type: zip agcut1.zip (1.70 MB, 201 views)

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 108 14-07-2003 , 11:32 PM
Subscriber
Wow! Looks great! Aside from the two things you mentioned already mot much to criticize. Motion looks good - lots of weight and good angles - esp. the one from the front. Sweet.

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 109 15-07-2003 , 09:35 AM
looks great... BUT... i would add more textures. some of the items on the ship dont look as they were textured. me thinks... user added image

besides that... awesome work... (i have not done any model in maya so far ;\)
v.

# 110 15-07-2003 , 08:49 PM
Subscriber
Great work!. Shading is very good, good eye for detail, like the wear of the deck, and the rust on the sides. Working or worked at/in the neighbourhood of ships?
The animation is going to look great, can't wait to see it.

Chris

# 111 16-07-2003 , 01:01 AM
Thanks guys.

Vertiis, I may add more textures to the minor bits if they are shown closely in the final animation. Thanks for pointing this out.

NoTalent, I have nothing to do with ships except this one user added image

Now I need to model the inside of the wheel house too since I added a camera there user added image. What do you think?

Attached Files
File Type: zip agcut3.zip (1.10 MB, 198 views)

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 112 16-07-2003 , 01:24 PM
cant wait to see the final composition KB. do u use maya unlimited?

v.

# 113 16-07-2003 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber
that looks amazing kbrown!

# 114 16-07-2003 , 04:38 PM
Subscriber
Wow! Nice stuff - love the shot from the wheel house.

My only question - and it is just a question because I don't really know but it seems like to compensate for the water going over the boat you made it float higher out of the water - am I right?

I understand the difficulties involved with making water pour over the back of the boat but that's something that would happen in heavy seas. Maybe if you used a lot of blur and spray it would look realistic and not like it was penetrating the hull.

You have a fine animation going here. Going to be a killer reel if that's what you're working on. Are you using the Perfect Storm tutorial from Secrets of the Pros?

Dynamics are scary!

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 115 16-07-2003 , 04:59 PM

Originally posted by ereitz
Wow! Nice stuff - love the shot from the wheel house.

My only question - and it is just a question because I don't really know but it seems like to compensate for the water going over the boat you made it float higher out of the water - am I right?

Thanks again, ereiz! You're not exactly right. I attached an uniform field to the boat which pushes the water down and to the sides as it moves. Gotta fine tune the keying of the magnitude though...

I understand the difficulties involved with making water pour over the back of the boat but that's something that would happen in heavy seas. Maybe if you used a lot of blur and spray it would look realistic and not like it was penetrating the hull.

Yup, sprays, fog, mist and whatnot is coming later. Hopefully they will draw attention so that the viewer can't see all the little errors that reveals this being a fake. user added image

You have a fine animation going here. Going to be a killer reel if that's what you're working on. Are you using the Perfect Storm tutorial from Secrets of the Pros?

Yeah, the chapter on the Secrets of the Pros book inspired me for doing this originally. But as it is not an actual tutorial I've had to figure out most of the stuff by myself. Great way to learn imho...

Dynamics are scary!

Nah, they are very rewarding if you can get them to behave user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 116 16-07-2003 , 10:29 PM
Damn, this water-trough-deck thing turned into a big problem. The field method I mentioned is not easy to control. I also tried projecting a cut profile (of the hull) shaped curve on to the sea and then trimming the contained area away. That works but when the ship banks you can see the hole. I'm stumped, any ideas? user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 117 16-07-2003 , 10:42 PM
How about using a field controlled by the boat itself to displace the water? I mean, grouping a field with the boat to act on the water too ... just as the one you are using now, but this one should only displace the water near the boat.

# 118 16-07-2003 , 11:19 PM

Originally posted by adldesigner
How about using a field controlled by the boat itself to displace the water? I mean, grouping a field with the boat to act on the water too ... just as the one you are using now, but this one should only displace the water near the boat.

That's exactly what I've tried. It's very hard to get the water to behave around the ship and that's why I was considering alternative methods. Gonna try to tweak the fields some more but if you have any other ideas I'd like to hear them...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 119 17-07-2003 , 01:00 AM
Maybe I missed the question...sry... what is the problem again?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 120 17-07-2003 , 02:27 AM
It's the water penetrating through the decks but I think I can cheat a little and get away with fields. If not then there's the good old saying: fix it in post user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB