Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 21-08-2003 , 11:58 AM

Paint skin weight problem

Hi again, I'm following one of the maya online tutorials about modifiying skin weights and it tells me that I have to brush areas that I dont want to deform ( when moving say the leg up ) using the smooth paint weight option painting the areas that are brighter darker so they dont deform, anyway... my question is can all the areas be painted because when I try and darken some light areas they dont change colour???
I've tried upping the opacity and the brush style but still no joy.

Thakns Guysuser added image

# 2 21-08-2003 , 12:13 PM
Subscriber
Have you got the relevant joint selected in the option box? You can only paint on the areas affected by the joint once it is selected iirc. So if you want to paint the weights of back joint 3 you selected that to see what areas its is affecting already etc.

Randomly posting in the middle of the day as we have a plumbing problem and a collapsing ceiling thing, so I am taking my mind off the state of my house with a little browsing, lol.

# 3 21-08-2003 , 12:15 PM
The Maya Mountain
you want to be careful when using the smooth option with painting weights, as I've noticed that it distributes the weight prety randomly to surrounding bones.

# 4 21-08-2003 , 12:21 PM
Yep got the joint I to paint on selected, I have noticed that the areas I've managed to turn from white to black do somtimes create holes in the model when I move it... am I going about this the right way?

# 5 21-08-2003 , 12:33 PM
Also is it best to paint when the model is it's original pose or once you have posed it?

Thanks again

# 6 21-08-2003 , 01:03 PM
The Maya Mountain
I usually just stick to add or replace. I don't think it's 'wrong' to paint it in a pose, but I generally do so at bind pose.

# 7 21-08-2003 , 03:09 PM
Thanks Mike I used Add and changed the min/max value to -5 / +1, that did the trick!

Cheersuser added image