Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 07-08-2003 , 01:58 PM

A challenge: Can someone make hair like this (and tell me how)?

I'm trying to recreate hair similar to the hair in the Final Fantasy X-2 game cinematics.

Ok, before you laugh at me this is simply a little project I'm trying to accomplish. I've been playing with Lightwave (which I know more then Maya) and so far I haven't been able to achieve the effect I want short of hand animating it with bones etc.

If you look at the mpeg video I linked to below (24mb) I'm trying to recreate the hair similar to Rikku (the blond girl with the binoculars). When she spins around to see the guard her hair twirls and almost goes around her neck but ends up resting in front of her shoulder. I have yet to find a tutorial or anything on the Internet that helps give a clue on how to do hair like this. And after getting pretty frustrated with LW and Motion Designer I thought I'd give Maya a shot at it since I have it at work. If Maya can do this then maybe I should use it instead of LW.

https://movies.rpgamer.com/ff/ffx-2/ffx-2_intro.mpg

By looking at this I assume that the hairs are simply poly or nurb strands with soft bodies or cloth or maybe their own custom plug-in (which is most likely). I know that Maya was used in making this video but who knows how much was actually Maya and not some custom Mel-Scripts etc.

I'm pretty sure I won't get a reply to this or I'll get linked to tutorials I've already read. But any help or insight to how to do this would be greatly appreciated. I'm by no means new to 3d but my strengths are in modeling (9 years in LW) not dynamics or animation, but I'm learning.

Thanks again if you read this and thanks even more if you can reply with some help.

Take care,
-George

# 2 08-08-2003 , 10:39 AM
Subscriber
ok i havent watched the vid as its too big, but i am aware of rikku (mmmmm) and her hair from FFX
u cud try using maya fur and use dynamics on it, but fur was designed to handle smaller strands of hair...like fur :s

however, if ur in the midst of changing applications to achieve this hair effect i would recommend XSI (advanced...the essentials edition doesnt have hair) as it is fairly easy to create dynamic hair, collision objects etc the only complaint i have about it is its too sloooow but yeah. download the EXP to see if it has fur, i know the 2.0 EXP had fur built in, not sure about the current 3.0 one tho

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 3 12-08-2003 , 12:40 AM
Which tuts have you already read if I may ask?

..so I don't lead you down the wrong roaduser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 12-08-2003 , 12:57 AM
Ok, after checking out the vid, it looks like it was done using a combo of 2 techniques: Softbodies, AND paint effects.

It looks to me like the braided parts were a custom "braid" PFX brush attached to a softbody-curve. Pretty simple dynamics.

and...

The flowing hair looks like a clever usage of VERY WELL TEXTURED strips of softbody nurbs and/or poly geometry.

Add fan, turbulence and gravity fields to all, and you have some sexy hair effects for that shot!

Keep in mind, the "hero" or close-up shot of her hair only lasted for a MAX of I would say about 30 frames or about 1 full second or so, but still, give it up to Square, they are good!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 5 12-08-2003 , 02:34 AM
I spent about 2 days searching on the net and on the major 3d sites for Maya hair tutorials, in some Maya books I have access to and some sites that friends have sent me to. If you have some links though post them anyway. I'm sure I haven't seen "everything". user added image Mostly what I found was how to make hair not how to control it with softs or anything dynamic.

That one scene (where she turns around) is actually 67 frames exactly. hehe

I've been talking to some fellow Maya users and they suggest the same things you did in your last post. One is actually trying to do it himself, but has hit some problems. He's going to keep trying though. I'll send him your suggestions. Thanks.

If anyone has more specific settings or ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for taking the time to answer my post. user added image

-George

# 6 12-08-2003 , 03:07 AM
Sry, 67 frms... hehe... my baduser added image

My point was just that more often than not, you only need to show an effect as long as needed to get the desired audience response... hehe...

For links, you can check out our tutorial links database, and for hair tuts, I think that Boris3D has a bunch listed, so check 'em outuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com