Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 07-08-2007 , 10:56 PM

fur animation problem

Hi guys

i'm making a short animation for my year project in my cgi course and it involves a cute eskimo with fur all over him for his eskimo jacket thingy.

Problem is wen i animate the fur, it goes thru his skin as u can see in the pics here, i was wondering if anyone knows a way to make the fur collide with the geometry it is connected to or any other way to fix this problem, there is a turbulence field connected to the hair, but it doesnt matter wat kind of dynamics i put the fur goes thru the goemetry

before animation starts
user added image
Shot at 2007-08-13

wen i hit play the hair goes thru the geometry its on in some parts here
user added image
Shot at 2007-08-13

any ideas would be much appreciated! cheers!

# 2 08-08-2007 , 03:07 AM
Subscriber
Hello there Phrosting,

neat eskimo, what course are you doing?

As you're animating the fur using hair curves select the hair curves and create a collide sphere or cube (Hair > Create Constraint > Collide Sphere/Cube).

The collide object will stop the hair from penetrating the geometry so the fur shouldn't either. You'll need a few of them to cover your character and the collide values will need adjusting to suit your needs.

Once you have your collide objects in place you can parent the various parts to your character skeleton so that they don't get left behind when you come to animate.

Hope that helps,

Mat.

# 3 08-08-2007 , 04:34 AM
hey mat thanks for replying, probably should have mentioned earlier that i tried that and it worked a bit but theres just too many areas to put spheres and cubes with the hair and with the hair make collide spehre and cube u cant change the vertices of them only the scale and translate rotate, etc.

I have kind of fixed the problem tho by using fur attractors from previous versions of maya below version 7, by typing in
HfCreateAttractor; in the mel command line seeing as they aren't in any menu from maya 7 or up, with these i have been able to collide with the geometry the attractors are sitting on shitload more tweaking to do tho... user added image

oh eh i'm studying advanced diploma of CGI

# 4 08-08-2007 , 04:43 AM
Subscriber
I know what you mean about the collide objects limitations, at least you came up with an alternative. Good luck with your tweaking.

Take it easy,

Mat.