Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-03-2011 , 01:27 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net

Transparency Texture Help

I have been trying for hours now to get my transparency map to work, I keep putting the alpha channel to the transparency node but it still shows the plane i have the texture on, here are 2 examples, i inverted the map on the second shot.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 28-03-2011 , 09:31 AM
On the first one you can see the rest of the plane because maya is still shading the specular component of your shader.

Plug your alpha channel (inverted) into your specular color of your shader or if you already have a specular texture applied you can throw it on the gain of that texture (multiplying everything by 0 where you want no reflections).

Also you have some white edging on your texture because your apha channel is not correctly reaching the edges, how are you generating this alpha map?

If you paint everything on a layer in photoshop its much easier to create your transparencies. If you are just painting on white to create your color and then selecting the white areas make your transparency, be aware this is using a threshold to and might not select partially white pixels. To check the result of your transparency in photoshop, put it in a layer over your color, invert it and set the the layer to multiply this will highlight any problems.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 3 08-04-2011 , 05:55 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
sorry for taking so long to reply, didnt have a chance to work on it. To make the alpha map I select the photo and hit save selection as channel, I grabbed a new texture to see if maybe it was the one I was using....still cant get it to work. Here is what I have, in the viewport the transparecny seems like it working fine, but when I render it...the plane is still there.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 4 08-04-2011 , 06:05 PM
Not sure how you are set up but if you are using an image that doesn't have alpha info, goto the file attributes and try turning on "Alpha is Luminance".

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 08-04-2011 , 06:16 PM
Subscriber
Depends on your version of Maya (mines 2011) but I think I know this one. I`m guessing that your rendering with "Mental Ray" and if you try "Software" it works - if so Then this may help you as I just went though the same thing with my low poly hair the other day, and took he hours of looking on google to find an answer.

You have to turn on the "alpha is luminance" flag under the transparency texture section of the shadder - its under color balance.

I was pulling my hair out for hours with this one

Attached Images