Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 09-04-2011 , 10:35 AM
Subscriber

Human IK bindpose

So how does it work?
I have created a character using mayas HumanIK and skinned it to my poly mesh. I deform the IK system with the default controls but how do you go back to bind pose?

The poly mesh goes back to bindpose leaving the rig in it's posed position!!
Do you have to select all your controls and set them back to zero or is there a short cut?

Many thanks

It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion
# 2 10-04-2011 , 10:51 AM
zero out the controls?
Just do it once, grab the code from the script editor and put it on a shelf.

I think only joints hold bind pose information and joints are usually controlled by curves once rigged so the bind pose info becomes redundant.

Usually people would deal with skinning in a separate scene file where they would use the bind pose information to ensure everything is where it needs to be before connecting controllers with a script.

FX supervisor - double negative

Last edited by LauriePriest; 10-04-2011 at 10:54 AM.
# 3 10-04-2011 , 01:28 PM
Subscriber
Well I'm glad you said that as I was starting to think I was missing something.
In Maya 2012 you can create a HIK rig with controls but these controls have trans on them so setting them back to zero is no good.

I'm just not understanding this HIK system yet in Maya..

cheers

# 4 11-04-2011 , 10:14 AM
Why is setting the trans back to 0 no good?

# 5 11-04-2011 , 07:19 PM
Subscriber
Because the controls that get created are not at zero, they have translations on them.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Stephen; 11-04-2011 at 07:23 PM.
# 6 12-04-2011 , 01:13 PM
Ah lame, then they are shitty controllers.
Check the help to see if the effectors store there original position information otherwise you will need to create zeroed out curves for the actual rig.
It looks like the effectors just extend all the attirbutes you will need to one node rather than having it all scattered around.

To make controls that are zeored out, an easy way is to parent a circle to the effector, zero it out. Unparent it, duplicate it and parent the duplicate to the original and then delete the shape of the original. You have to make sure that the original and now parent curve transform is a child of the same parent as the effector.

Does that make any sense?

# 7 13-04-2011 , 08:51 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for your reply.
Yeah I know what you mean but it seems rather daft to have to go through more steps to get it working when it should be zeroed out in the first place. This make me think I still have the wrong idea about using this setup. I think we will stick with AdvancedSkeleton for now, though www.ikinema.com looks to be promising.