Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 61 28-04-2011 , 08:52 PM
The thin red line

Cool...no probs stwert.

Also to find the focal length, you can actually go to an images 'properties' and usually it will tell you there to user added image

cheers

Jay

Thanks for that tip Jay they is a lot of info in there...........dave

Edit: I had to come back and ask this to get my mind straight if the image is a focal lenght of say 24mm the camera I use to set up that projection should be set at 24mm to iron out distortion? You have to under stand that I do not have any one else to ask these question but you guys.....dave

Last edited by daverave; 28-04-2011 at 10:09 PM.
# 62 30-04-2011 , 02:20 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey dave

yeah sure, that way if will line up the mesh to image and vice versa. Ive got 35mm to 45 going on in most of the shots here

Jay

# 63 01-05-2011 , 07:56 PM
Another update. Tweaked and tweaked and added 3 more cameras. Will add an the uvs now, then add an extra division, to put in the higher details then its off into zbrush for the next step!!

cheers

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 64 01-05-2011 , 09:30 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Nice ear and some strong lines.
The only "downside" is that there are a couple of straight lines in there:
-jaw, just below the ear
-top of the head
-forehead
-cheekbone

aside from that it looks very good

# 65 01-05-2011 , 10:29 PM
Hey Mastone

Yeah her jaw is very defined in every picture I have of her at different ages.

Overall right now Im not concerned really about the fact the loops are straight there, they are doing what they need to do though the one forward of the ear may get taken out or adjusted. My cameras will be getting adjusted more anyway as I go. I need to soften that jaw area just a little and move it back, a little more to soften it. The muscle from the jaw will also get tweak and defined as it moves forward to the center of the cheek and also will be pushed in slightly more than the left side (will be getting rid of symmetry all over anyway) Top of the ear needs work as Im seeing stuff there that needs looking at. Plus theres other stuff Im seeing Im not happy with soooooo, lots to do. But for now Im just doing some uv work.

cheers
Jay

# 66 01-05-2011 , 10:47 PM
The thin red line
Hi Jay
Added a nother 3 cameras, did the sorce images have the focal imfo you needed and what are you looking for at this stage. Do you need to take here into Zbrush as she is so young I would have chosen photoshop?..............dave

# 67 02-05-2011 , 10:25 AM
Hey Dave

Not all of them do have the info, thats a real lottery of getting them from the web.

Im really looking at making it even better than it is right now. Yes she is young but you would be surprised at the small areas of difference that can add to making it closer to the real deal. If you get hi res and very hi contrast images you can see the undulations and difference in the forms of the face

Its just a way I have used to make digi doubles. I'll use Zbrush for adding mainly the skin texture and the odd line. I need to get back into Zbrush as its been quite a while since my last outing as I havent needed it for the hardsurface stuff Ive been doing for work over the last year. So need a bit of a refresher - before the release of 4.2 as well LOL

cheers
Jay

# 68 02-05-2011 , 07:41 PM
Update, all uv'd..............................using maya of courseuser added image

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 69 02-05-2011 , 09:19 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Ah neat trick, make the tiles so small you hardly see any distortion anymore....LOL
Looks great, it does seem to me that there is more UV space around the neck area, and some smearing around the nose bridge ( try the relax tool it works a treat), however..

Modelwise I really like the fact that you define everything so clearly in maya.

And to add a little tip:
Use a colored version of the testexture, it might cheer you up when doing uv's hahahah

# 70 02-05-2011 , 09:39 PM
EduSciVis-er

And to add a little tip:
Use a colored version of the testexture, it might cheer you up when doing uv's hahahah

Ha... it doesn't. user added image

# 71 02-05-2011 , 09:43 PM
The thin red line
Only one colour I see then UVing RED, only joking it get better with practice......dave

# 72 03-05-2011 , 09:16 AM
erm no....make the tiles small so you can see the distortion, thats the trick!!

the neck is vignetting because of the small scale.

LOL nice one dave. Uving is blinding enough without the hideous colors - this particular uv map was supplied by Pixologic with Zb4. They have the right idea.

cheers
Jay

# 73 03-05-2011 , 08:39 PM
Something I just wanna add to one of Mastones last comments:

Modelwise I really like the fact that you define everything so clearly in maya

I was always for getting meshes right as much as you could before proceeding, meaning pushing a base mesh to its absolute limit before adding more geometry, its also something I picked up from ILM supervising modeler, Tariq Merza's dvd years back, before I was a Senior Supervising modeler, he kept saying to work the forms as much as possible before adding geo and also Bay Raitt, the guy who modelled Gollum. Its like sculpture, even guys like Scott Spencer and Ryan Kingslien who are masters of zbrush do this too. You are building up in layers essentially. For example it also helps at the lower levels with ear placement. Time and time again people build head with ears hovering above the head instead of being against it - and with waaaaaay to much geo in there for them to handle, so the ears can tend to become an after thought.

So what have we learned......less is more!

Also the camera line ups with added nurbs curves for extra refs, I feel these are a must these days if you are going to try and model something or something from reference, its not just a case of a profile and front view - yeah it can be done but it wont be as accurate.

and secondly, you can never have too much reference!

anyway Im rambling

ciao

Jay

# 74 04-05-2011 , 06:41 AM
Ramble on Jay, its good advice mate!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 75 04-05-2011 , 07:06 AM
Heeey Steve

cheers mate, hope you are well, you've been noticably absent around here.

So when you coming down to Kent for some quality carp fishing?? I had two near 15pound 3 weeks back in the pouring rain LOL

heres one of them.....just to get the juices flowing...

Jay

Attached Thumbnails