Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 07-02-2009 , 02:14 AM
Subscriber

house by the lake

night scene I worked on for my portfolio.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-02-2009 , 02:33 AM
Jr.Who
I like it… I got some crit though. I love the lighting, but the water seems a bit too reflective. And the house seems a little too small.
user added image

# 3 07-02-2009 , 09:44 AM
Subscriber
thanks for the crit Jr who. I actually wanted the house to be small on this render. I played with the water until I liked it, but I will keep what you said in mind.

# 4 07-02-2009 , 11:43 AM
Its very simplistic and lacking in detials for the modeling and texturing, texture sizes ect throw off the scale.

For a portfolio peice I would really tey to go the extra mile with the composition, meodleing, texturing etc etc, it looks a bit rushed, add some wear and tear in there.

Don't hate me for it, its just how I see it, with more time on it for the modeling and texturing and maybe adding nice plant life around it will be a good pice.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 07-02-2009 , 12:20 PM
The Nurb Herd
I agree,
I think you need to increase the size of the texture on the hills. Also is that the shadow from the house casting on them? I don't think that light would illuminate that much.
With regards to the lawn, i think you could use the sculpt geometry tool to bash it up a bit, also a bump map or two would help in places.

# 6 07-02-2009 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gster123
Its very simplistic and lacking in detials for the modeling and texturing, texture sizes ect throw off the scale.

For a portfolio peice I would really tey to go the extra mile with the composition, meodleing, texturing etc etc, it looks a bit rushed, add some wear and tear in there.

Don't hate me for it, its just how I see it, with more time on it for the modeling and texturing and maybe adding nice plant life around it will be a good pice.

I hate to admit it gster but I did rush to finish because I want to stat on another piece more interesting. I will add more detail before I put it in my portoflio. Thanks for pushing me guys, I need it sometimes LOL!

# 7 09-02-2009 , 01:16 AM
Hmm for me this doesnt really represent a night time scene, The local lighting is very very intense. Moonlight will will be mostly towards the blue tone range with white light. Blue and green tones are picked up by the eye in low light level enviroments, so for example you wouldnt expect to see much red at all in the distant hills.

The water seems far too bright and seems almost irradiant, it would almost be a a simple but varied tone closely matching the sky with some subtle reflections and specular where necessary.

As things fall off into the distance their saturation will drop dramatically due to the atmosphere, being pushed away from their local color and dropping into the ambient tones.

This should almost be a domanance of hue piece, meaning everything should be a dirivative hue of the main diffused light source.

The resolution of your textures are very apparent, they need to be boosted up to provide a bit of break up for the eye, at the moment they really appear like solid flat dominating tones which is distracting for the eye. You have strong saturated colors combating the contrast of the piece.

Make the local artificial light source with a greater fall off and subtlety, at the moment its effect is too powerful for the composition.

This image is a demonstration of a dominance of hue in moonlight:
user added image

FX supervisor - double negative