Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 04-10-2005 , 08:06 PM

Zbrush

I am kind of curious about Zbrush. I have read here that a lot of people use it, but I checked out their website, and it actually gives the impression that it can be used for both modeling AND adding detail/texturing. I looked at the tutorials and everything, and it shows you how to create models from scratch. On the contrary, here is is almost always used for adding detail to Maya models.

Is it used for modeling? I saw that the devs on Doom 3 used it, and I read the interview, but I couldn't really decide whether other 3D tools were used for modeling.

Note that I am talking about modeling here, though. I realize that Zbrush does not have a rigging tool (although one is planned apparently) and has poor rendering/lighting effects.

Thanks!

PS: Yes, I have searched the forum. I heard a lot of people say something like they started out basic in Maya and added detail in Zbrush. How basic? Doom has some crazy models, so did they just make a BASIC shape and add all of the detail in Zbrush?

user added image

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention, I also noticed Zbrush is almost excusively used for organic modeling, and not solid objects.

# 2 17-10-2005 , 06:18 PM
One of my artists is a Z-Brush maniac. The basic workflow for him is to create a lowpoly model (organic or not) in Maya...then export it to Z-Brush....where he then uses the scuptural tools to add all the details.

It's lighting and rendering does leave the app a little wanting...however, it's terrific for texturing.

He then exports the model out to Maya and incorporates it into our scenes. The mesh together perfectly and we haven't run into any compatability issues at all.

Z-Brush is better used with a tablet....so, unless you have one you may want to rethink things a bit.

Hope that helps!
Cheers

!!!Show Time Synergy!!!
# 3 17-10-2005 , 06:25 PM
Subscriber
just check zbrush's website to find out what it is
that simpleuser added image