Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 16-05-2012 , 03:49 PM

I want a flickering light

Hi guys,

I'm new to maya's expressions and I really don't understand scripting much at all generally.

I've been searching online for an expression to control the intensity of my point light and I found several.

I created a new expression on the intensity and copied the coding into the expression editor. I always get some kind of error telling me an 'attribute is not found or variable missing'.

Pointlight1.intensity=linstep(-1,1,noise(time))*0.2+1.5;

That is one script I inputed.... It uses noise as the randomness.... At least it's supposed to but fails to work in this instance... I don't get it!

What should I be typing that will work please!?

Oh, and if you have some suggestions, please don't assume I know to replace certain text or numbers with my own values because to some of us, it really isn't that obvious! user added image

Ps - my point light intensity is 2000 using quadratic interpretation.

Thanks!

Luke.

# 2 16-05-2012 , 04:05 PM
The thin red line
Im no lighting expert but I think you should have your light intensity set to 100.............dave

# 3 16-05-2012 , 07:54 PM
Technical Director
Do you have an object called Pointlight1? (It's case-sensitive)

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 17-05-2012 , 12:05 AM
Dave - the large overly scaled scene imported from Cinema 4D is he reason for the light value.

Yes I had checked case sensitivity.

Guys, is that expression even right? I'd like to know what exactly I should be typing please.

Thanks,

# 5 17-05-2012 , 02:54 AM
Technical Director
We'd like the help you out, but you aren't giving us much information. We need to know what the names are of your lights. Post a screen shot of the outliner, or even the file, and we'll take a look. If you send us the file, make sure you save it as a .ma file.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 6 17-05-2012 , 09:10 AM
The Nurb Herd
seems all pretty demanding to me...

i'd probably do this in 2d. can't you use keyframes? what kind of flicker do you need?