Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 21-06-2003 , 10:49 PM
Subscriber

Set ramp color position as driven

Hi there

I've made an eyeball with a pupil from a ramp texture. Then I've made a custom attribute "Pupil" inside my locator for the eyeball.

Now I want the pupil to crow as the pupil attribute changes. Inside the "Set Driven Key" dialog there is no "position" attribute for the ramp, so I added it inside the "Channel Control" of the ramp, named "colorEntryList[1].position", when I now got back to my "Set Driven Key" dialog I got a new attribute "Position" for the ramp, but when I try to set it as a key, I get the error message "Error: No object matches name ramp1.position".

Am I missing something? Please help me.

Spandy user added image

# 2 22-06-2003 , 05:29 PM
Subscriber
ok, i dnt have a solution, but that is a very good idea!!

you shud link up the ramp position with light intensity, that wud be amazing user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 3 23-06-2003 , 12:37 AM
If I understand you correctly, (and i hope I do), you want basically want to be able to drive where color's position on the ramp will be?

to test I set up a 3 color circle ramp on a nurbs plane. The top color being white(colorEntryList[2]), and the bottom 2 black(colorEntryList[0] & [1]) . The I used the following expression to test it out.

ramp3.colorEntryList[2].position = nurbsPlane1.translateY (replace this with whatever)

as i moved my plane along the Y-axis, the circle grew and contracted, as a pupil would.

Hopefully this was what you meant!

________

- Jacob
# 4 23-06-2003 , 12:51 AM
Just tryed it with light intensity, it was pretty cool.

ramp3.colorEntryList[2].position = 1-(ambientLightShape1.intensity)

that would need to be tweaked though

________

- Jacob
# 5 23-06-2003 , 05:31 PM
Subscriber

Re: Set ramp color position as driven

Originally posted by spandy
Hi there

I've made an eyeball with a pupil from a ramp texture. Then I've made a custom attribute "Pupil" inside my locator for the eyeball.

Now I want the pupil to crow as the pupil attribute changes. Inside the "Set Driven Key" dialog there is no "position" attribute for the ramp, so I added it inside the "Channel Control" of the ramp, named "colorEntryList[1].position", when I now got back to my "Set Driven Key" dialog I got a new attribute "Position" for the ramp, but when I try to set it as a key, I get the error message "Error: No object matches name ramp1.position".

Am I missing something? Please help me.

Spandy user added image

set driven key does not work for the "colorEntryList[1].position". the attribute "position" does not belong to the ramp either - it is only a virtual name for the selected position when you edit the ramp in attribute editor. if you want to use a sdk then there is a nasty little workaround for it:
  • create a new float attribute with the needed min and max values for the position of the the desired colorentrylist in ramp1
  • create a new expression with e.g.
    Code:
    ramp1.colorEntryList[1].position = ramp1.pupil_position;
    ramp1.colorEntryList[3].position = ramp1.pupil_position-0.02;
    this you even make as in the example to move 2 positions at once - for a smooth transition from iris to pupil that is always same thickness
  • create another attribute (e.g. in the material, not the ramp) form 0 to 1
  • create a sdk between the new attribute as driver and the ramp1.pupil_position as driven
hope that helps some

# 6 24-06-2003 , 01:24 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for your responses.

BabyDuck that was just what I needed.

Spandy