Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-03-2004 , 02:15 PM

How do I Tilt, ROtate or scale on a motion path

Hey guys!

I attach a airplane to a curve and animated in the path, Thats all I need on the scene.

So now i need to tilt, rotate or scale the airplane but when i do it i loose all the movement on the path.

Note: I dont have a poly plane to use the normals to tilt the plane based on that...

Any way I can Achive this?

As Always thanks!!

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....
# 2 08-03-2004 , 02:30 PM
Subscriber
I dont know a huge amount about this, but I do know that there is a "Bank" parameter in the motion path node that will allow you to set how much the object banks around curves on the path.

But you'd probably be better off waiting for a real expert to answer your question.... user added image

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 3 08-03-2004 , 02:42 PM
The Maya Mountain
If you group the airplane to itself and attach the GROUP to the curve, you can then rotate and move the airplane itself all you want.

Yes, the bank feature may also help.

# 4 08-03-2004 , 08:09 PM
Great I will try it tonight

Thanks! as always

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....
# 5 09-03-2004 , 01:34 PM
Mike,

I try your suggestion but maybe i'm missing something,

I selected the plain and did the GROUP command, then selected the new group and created a CV curve and From animation menu selected "attach to path" (dont remember the exact command)
so now it moves on the curve automatically, now i move the group where i wanted tilted and set the key, thats when i loose all the movement and attchment to the curve....

any ideas?

Thanks!

# 6 09-03-2004 , 01:43 PM
Subscriber
I think Mike is suggesting that with the group parented to the path, you can manipulate the Plane object itself.... dont touch the group.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 7 09-03-2004 , 01:50 PM
The Maya Mountain
Yes, the plane object WITHIN the group is what you move around. The group node itself remains on the curve.

# 8 09-03-2004 , 03:43 PM
oh Ok I get it now....

I'll let you know how it goes,

AS always thanks!!