Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 12-04-2010 , 04:32 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Giving some thought to his armour... Bit stumped at the moment, so I did a weapons concept.

Very rough, and not really to the final proportions, but enough to guide me when I eventually model the weapons.

The Axe is based on the chronicles design.

user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 17 12-04-2010 , 04:39 PM
EduSciVis-er
Cool bow concept! Looking forward to that one progressing. Could you do the arrow as a sort of forked tongue or something? Also make sure the handle has enough strength (it looks a tad flimsy, but I understand it's just a rough concept).

# 18 12-04-2010 , 04:49 PM
Subscriber
I have to agree!! Very original on the bow!! Nice work on the refining that you have done with the character also!! Keep it up!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 19 12-04-2010 , 04:54 PM
The thin red line
Nice modelling steve, seams a shame to hide that under all armour may be do like a gladiator one side armoured?.............dave

# 20 12-04-2010 , 04:57 PM
Looking very good mate!

Very solid.

Watch the distance between the string and the bows grip, the bracing height is very low and the string would probably whack your hand on release.

Check out some of the Hoyt compound bows for some mad design that may give you some influence. (the bracing height is low on compounds as the limbs dont move as much and dont have recurves on them)

Can you guess I used to do archery!

Haha,

Great work man

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 21 12-04-2010 , 05:54 PM
Subscriber
I would give him both - One for range, one for close up
(Plus it gives you more to do hehe)

Its shaped up so quick - Looking very nice already - dame it - mine still just looks like poloy`s

# 22 12-04-2010 , 06:49 PM
stwert: Thanks. Yeah, I'm going to give the arrow a cool head. And I'm going to definitely strengthen up the bow, based on the info from Steve.

Tom: Thanks man, I appreciate your input.

Dave: Yeah, that's an idea. I have already done a concept, but it covers up a lot of his body, but I'll look at some gladiator armour, see if something jumps out.. thanks for the feedback.

Steve: Thanks man. I'm not much of an archer lol, thanks for the tips and the reference. Those compacts are pretty sweet. Will definitely be taking your advice.

tweety: Thanks. Yeah, that's what I was thinking, that way he has long distance and short range combat covered.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

Did a paint over, this is the only one I semi like.

I'm not very good at painting, so you'll have to put up with my crappy painting style. (if you can even call it a style).

user added image

As you can see it's still a WIP.. I haven't really done much to the legs yet.
Cheers!

*EDIT*

Looking at it now, I think the arms might be a bit much. Changed them to a simpler look.

user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 12-04-2010 at 07:58 PM.
# 23 12-04-2010 , 08:09 PM
Well, I edited my last post with a slight change in the armour design. And I think that'll be a ll for tonight. Tomorrow i'm going to do some more sculpting, not too much as I'm going to retopo it. I'll have to give him some fingers, so that'll be fun.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 24 13-04-2010 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber
looks like he should have wider shoulders

either way, it looks brilliant!

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 25 13-04-2010 , 10:49 PM
@Chirone: Thanks man!

Spent some time doing the retopo. Got it finished and the details transfered, I'm happy with how it turned out. Gonna get some more sculpting done on it tomorrow.. Then it's off to Maya to model some armour, then back to Zb for fur... *gulp*

user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 26 13-04-2010 , 11:01 PM
Looking excellent Steve!

Good luck with the fur sculpt. That'll be a bit of a challenge, but I'm sure you'll do a good job.

I'll look forward to the posing stages, at the moment he looks like he's in "just washed hands and looking for a towel" pose....lol

# 27 14-04-2010 , 12:26 AM
Subscriber
Not being very learned at this type of modeling, but the definition that you have done in the stomach area looks very good to me. I would like to have such a stomach!! But I am 62 and the chest drops to that area!! ;-)

Nice work!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 28 15-04-2010 , 07:21 PM
@Dango: haha, thanks man. Yeah, I already have an idea for a pose, but that might change when I get to that stage.

@Tom: You and me both (about the stomach). user added image Thanks for the comments.

Small update. I finally got to spend an hour doing some stuff. Been busy the last couple of days.

All I have really done is try to add a little form to the head and a bit of character. I'm not going to put much detail in at all at this stage. All I want is a basic shape so I can build my armour around it. If I add too much detail, and creases, it will just get in the way when I try to do the fur.

The reason I want to do the fur AFTER I've done the armour, is so i can sculpt the interactions between them. If you imagine a Buffalo wearing armour, any fur under the armour would be compressed, and the fur around the edges would poke up. Maybe some of it would cover over some of the edges of the armour.... at least that's my theory.

user added image

And now I've exported it to Maya. Ready to build the Armour around it.

user added image

Once the armour's built, then it will be time for detailing, but theres no point giving him details now as they'll just be covered up by fur.

Oh yeah, no work on the hands yet.... I hate those things... saving them for last... probably after the fur even user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 29 15-04-2010 , 11:25 PM
Subscriber
Only thing i can think of on it so far steve, is the head seems a bit oversized for the body, mayhaps the addition of the armor will fix that though.
Non the less I like it, as it stands so far, looking foward to seeing it come along.
G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 30 16-04-2010 , 06:38 AM
Dude, Maya???

I thought you would have been using the topology tools and mesh extract in Z!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle