Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 14-04-2005 , 10:41 PM

Attack of the robots

I tried to teach myself about particle instancer and did this movie. It's actually the first time I've animated a character, so be kind :p
Attack of the robots

# 2 14-04-2005 , 10:44 PM
Subscriber
i better not get nightmares from this!

(ive had a lot of robot dreams lately)

edit: damn, im sending you my shrink bill!
haha
nice animation, the walk cycle was pretty horrible but it didn't matter because of the possible space like terrain with unknown gravity, and thoes robots are scary as hell, look at how many there is!

First year 3D Grad

Last edited by Turbo Dan; 14-04-2005 at 10:47 PM.
# 3 15-04-2005 , 02:01 AM
hehe..they're scary allright, SCAAAARY!user added image

# 4 15-04-2005 , 04:23 AM
Subscriber
That's an impressive start for using particle instancer... can you provide some insights? aside from the robot model and rolling hills, how hard did you find it to set this up? The effect is pretty good. Sure the bots. feet float a bit, but when you think of it in terms of particles it's very cool. do they particles decay or are you send bots to their doom once they run out of terrain?

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 5 15-04-2005 , 05:24 PM
Can't take credit for comming up with all by myself, it's from a video tutorial from a certain other site. But basically it's particles that travels on the surface from one edge to the opposite, some small scripting to get different speeds and random birthplace. The robot has a walk cycle that goes on forever, then it's just to use the particle instancer to replace all particles with the robot. It's really very easy.

# 6 15-04-2005 , 05:28 PM
Subscriber
That is one H--L of an invasion you got going there buddyuser added image

# 7 15-04-2005 , 07:41 PM
I will say it. The walk cyles are really bad and nead work. There is no feeling of weight to the movement. The sholders and hips should have some wteek to them. You may have to change the model a little. If the gravity was low then there would be more of a bounce to it. Sense it is a looped cycle it would have been in your interest to nail the cycle first. Not a bad use of a particle system but the robots lean back when they go up hill. I am not sure how to do it but you always keap your body slightly leaned forward. walk is a controled fall. This is all stuff that you will learn.

# 8 15-04-2005 , 08:24 PM
Subscriber
Well I would like to see it, Normaly it would probably come up and be playable on my computer, but I got a fresh install going here and need to know the codec so I can get that and watch for my self.

regardlesss of the tweeks mentioned.. it might be a popcorn moment..

# 9 15-04-2005 , 09:31 PM
Subscriber
I think the focus was on the particles but the animation issues raised could still be addressed maybe. Not to sure how hard that would be since they're part of the formula.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 10 16-04-2005 , 12:00 PM
I am aware that the walk cycle and the model isn't that great, but I just did it very quickly. As mhcannon says I focused to learn about particles.

Pony, it's in Xvid. Btw, try the program GSpot, it will tell you exactly what codec a movie uses.

# 11 17-04-2005 , 08:04 PM
Subscriber
you might want to try looking up some bits and bobs on Goals, since they link with the instancer, u can get some really good effects with this combination. (may have to dig deep into expressions to get the right effects your after)

but good video! those eyes are scary :S

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)
# 12 17-04-2005 , 08:24 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey DJ
I agree with Rick on the weighting etc. Its a good tute though we got it at work and are probably gonna use it for crowds etc. You should have put in the collision objects for them to walk around, and some dust on the feet as they collided on impact

_J