Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-07-2015 , 06:27 PM

Keyframing/Animating the Point Lock Paramater with Hair

Hi all!

Sorry if this is in the wrong place as I am new here. I have a question:

How can you animate the Point Lock attribute on a hair follicle/change its value at a certain frame. I'm trying to change it from BothEnds to NoAttachabout 30 frames into my simulation for a number of curves in my scene.

I'm sure its possible as it says this on the Autodesk Site:

"Point Lock
This specifies where the hair is attached relative to the start position. You can constrain the base (like a normal hair), both ends (like a rope attached at either end) or with no attachments (the hair will fall like a loose string that is dropped). You can animate this parameter to detach a hair during a simulation."

But I can't for the life of me find out how to do it anywhere on Guggle.

Cheers,

Raf

# 2 28-07-2015 , 07:44 PM
EduSciVis-er
In the attribute editor, simply right click on the words Point Lock and choose Set Key. But if you want to do this for many follicles, then a better way is to select all the follicles, open the attribute spreadsheet, and go to the Shape Keyable tab, then select all the cells that say BothEnds, then Key > Key selected. Then go to your new time, type No Attach, then Key > Key selected again.

# 3 28-07-2015 , 08:17 PM
Thanks very much! Method worked nicely. End result not what I wanted in the simulation but hey ho!