Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-07-2003 , 07:31 PM

Beast - Help Needed for Material

Hi all,

This is a prehistoric beast i'm working on. It's still not finished.

I need some help in creating material for this one. I'm looking for dinosaur look ( with scales and stripes). Need help.

Attached Thumbnails

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
# 2 20-07-2003 , 08:43 PM
Hey man why dont you paint a texture on your beast there is a dinosour texture tutorial in maya,look in the paint section

hope i helped....

PEACE

www.cgmaya.tk
# 3 20-07-2003 , 08:51 PM
hi traveler,

I'll look into the documents. Hope i'll find it

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
# 4 20-07-2003 , 09:17 PM
can I give you one crit please? (I know you're not asking for one specifically user added image) the feet dont really work, I would make this animal a hooved animal like a horse or a cow. maybe even cloven like a goat.

As far as the texturing goes. what do you want to do? procedural or painted? or even a mix of the two?

what i would do is collect some materials from somewhere like https://www.imageafter.com and get some nice natural looking stuff. I was told by the lead texture artist at WETA that elephant skin works brilliantly for stuff like this.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 21-07-2003 , 08:41 PM
Thanx pure for ur crit. I'm modelling it after a tutor in Lightwave ,and the animal has 3 toes. I'm going to modify their shapes though.

I want a painted texture and for bump i want to use procedural.

# 6 22-07-2003 , 01:05 AM
ok so use the link i gave you to image after to find suitable stuff for the skin. I would advise that you stay with a painted texture for the bump. It will probably make things easier in the long run.

Although you could always use the painted map to control a procedural texture......

alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 7 22-07-2003 , 08:50 PM
Thnx pure. I found some textures at the link.

Which projection is more suitable for this model. planar or auto or cylinder. I guess it becomes easy to paint if i use planar.

'll post a render soon.

# 8 25-07-2003 , 09:42 AM
Hey Mayaguy,

I agree with traveler, painting must be the way to go. Maya's painttool can sometime be a bit heavy to work with. If you need to work a bit faster you might want to consider a software called "deep paint" with the additional "texture weapons" - works really nicely.

Also, if you UV's are layed out nicely you can grab a screendumb from your UV-editor , bring it into photoshop and paint your textures there (it's not a fantastic solution, but it's fast and it works user added image )

user added image Jeppe

Jeppe Nygaard Christensen
Ghost aps, Denmark
https://www.ghost.dk
# 9 26-07-2003 , 07:08 AM
Alias's web site has quite a few lizard and reptile shaders you can download if you want. My suggestion would be to take one of those shaders, apply to the model, save it as a texture file and, as someone suggested, import in Photoshop and do any adjustments you see fit. I am planning something similar for my dragon (see thread in WIP).

Sy
# 10 28-07-2003 , 06:36 AM

Sy

Last edited by silviapalara; 28-07-2003 at 07:20 AM.
# 11 28-07-2003 , 07:45 PM
Hi silvia,

downloaded reptile shader from alias. but the problem is when i convert it to file textures .... the output is different from the shader. The bump and colors doesn't seem like the one in the shader.

i tried tweaking the 'convert to FIle textture' options but there's not much improvement.

here's the pic with shader

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 28-07-2003 , 07:50 PM
render after converting the shader to file textures (this is the best render i got)

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 28-07-2003 , 07:54 PM
silvia,

i'm chking ur links. Hope to find a nce tex. i'm trying out all the possibilities.

most of the zip files i downloaded from alias are shaders with extension '.mp' ( i guess they r for MAYA PLE). could hardly find .ma files

** ur dragon is good. i hope to model it soon **

Last edited by mayaguy_dr; 28-07-2003 at 07:57 PM.
# 14 28-07-2003 , 07:55 PM
could u put it on a lighter bg

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 15 28-07-2003 , 09:28 PM
Ouch, the result of doing the shader to texture conversion didn't seem to go as I had thought... bummer! Will have to think of something else, I suppose...
As soon as I get to texturing my dragon, if I make any useful discovery I will surely let you know. In the meantime, if you crack the texture problem, post updates!

Sy