Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 26-08-2013 , 11:14 PM
Lifetime Member

Ferrari 360 Triangles

Hi All, Busy modelling my way through the Ferrari 360 tutorial. A couple of times throughout the series the instructor leaves a few triangles in the mesh which I'd like to clean up because they cause problems when I hit 3 on my keyboard (smooth preview mode).

Any suggestions as to how best to get rid of them?

Also why does the lower circled area get the strange kink in the mesh (where the arrow is)? The normals are all the same and everything is merged on the geometry.

Attached Thumbnails

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 2 27-08-2013 , 06:40 AM
Subscriber
Instead of having that little tri just delete that edge and continue it the length of the car. The reason your getting that lower issue is that you need to weld the offending vertices. Looking good so far.

It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion
# 3 27-08-2013 , 08:03 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi Stephen, Thanks for the reply. I like your idea for getting rid of the triangle. As for the lower issue it's really weird, I've tried merging everything around it, checking my normals, doing a mesh cleanup, but nothing worked. I had to delete one of the faces that shared the edge and extrude a new face, so now it's all good.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 4 27-08-2013 , 04:11 PM
Technical Director
Just continue on with the tutorial; he'll get rid of it. It will also make the tutorial harder to follow if you make changes that he didn't.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 27-08-2013 , 09:18 PM
Lifetime Member
OK, Thanks NextDesign, I guess I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. It's just that it's been drilled into me that triangles are bad.

Cheers, the Yeti.