Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 27-09-2004 , 03:34 PM
The Maya Mountain

New prize policy!

Hey, guys,

A very valid concern was brought to our attention. As the prizes have been now, the Grand Prize is only awarded to the Normal category.

The thinking was to give those in the Newbie category something to strive for. However, to award EDUCATIONAL material to people who, for the most part, have a pretty good understanding of the program already seemed to defeat the learning purpose these challenges are meant for.

Therefore, we're suggesting this solution:

TWO Grand Prizes, one for each category!

Before I get into what these GPs are going to be, I want to reiterate that Grand Prizes will still only be awarded if enough people contribute final entries. If only 1 or 2 people are entering the challenge, it doesn't breed a good environment for competition and instead of the grand prize, regular prizes (points) will be awarded as usual. The only real change is now a minimum number of entries will be enforced for both grand prizes.

SO, that said, here's how the prizes will break down:

Normal Grand Prize:

A book (any art subject book, whether educational or reference or whatever) and a choice of a tshirt or mug.

Newbie Grand Prize:

1 SM DVD of their choice and 14 points

Hopefully, these arrangements will allow the winners to appreciate their prizes more! Let me know what you think.

Also, do current competitors in the Aug/Sept challenge want this prize situation to occur for them when this challenge ends at the end of the week? Let me know here! If not, this will take affect in the next challenge.

EDIT:

What has happend in the past has been a seperate winner for the Grand Prize. For example, a Grand Prize winner is chosen, and then the next runner-up is given the Normal prize followed by the Newbie prize. With the addition of 2 grand prizes, instead of having 3 or 4 winners, there will only be the 2. If the Grand Prize is awarded, there will not be a 2nd place Normal or Newbie winner.

So, for example, let's say there is a Normal Grand Prize, but not enough for the Newbie Grand Prize. The awarding will go as:

Normal Winner - name - Grand Prize!
Newbie Winner - name

In the above example, the Normal winner recieved the Normal Grand Prize while the Newbie winner recieves points.

Any further questions, feel free to ask.

# 2 27-09-2004 , 03:55 PM
Sounds good, makes sence, and I can see the benifit for both levels.

For the normal entries... books and ref books are a huge plus to improve there skills as well as develope ther artist ideas.

For the new users, dvds are a good start help them get a handel on the basics of modeling and techniques to start building there own creations.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 27-09-2004 , 04:09 PM
It sounds like a really good idea to me. Having prizes for both categories will definitely improve the competition too. user added image

# 4 27-09-2004 , 04:24 PM
Lifetime Member
Sounds great Mike ,I think this will benifit everyone.
As a participant in the current challenge I really do not mind if you stick to the current prize situation or change to the new status.

# 5 27-09-2004 , 04:28 PM
Subscriber
I think its great. !! and I like the choises for how the prizes's brake down for each.

I have no prob with it applying to this challange also.

# 6 27-09-2004 , 05:54 PM
Subscriber
sound logic and reasoning - imo- impliment the policy straight away user added image

I think the challenges themselves are by there nature (to noobs) people like myself reward enough - because if i hadn't started this i would still be on the starting blocks. My understanding of maya and artistic princibles have grown 10 fold

so the clear motivation is to enter and "stick to a deadline" people always work better when they are given a project.

And with better rewards come more drive user added image

Q. Would it be possible to have winning entries displayed in the gallery? -(or are they already)-

Murph

MURPH
# 7 27-09-2004 , 06:24 PM
The Maya Mountain
Not sure about the gallery, but I'll try to link to the winners in the announcement thread at least.

# 8 27-09-2004 , 06:31 PM
The Maya Mountain
If we decide to implement the prize change now, for the current challenge, it'd go like this:

Normal - requires 8 finished valid entries (no change)
Newbie - requires 5 finished valid entries

As usual, if the set number is not met, points will still be awarded to the winner. Just there won't be a Grand Prize winner for that category.

If anyone wants to change to Newbie from Normal or vice versa, feel free to ask. There's usually no problem going from Newbie to Normal, but the other way around will depend on the ruling of a mod. If the request is rejected, it means the mod feels the person can compete as a Normal entry and would have an unfair advantage as a Newbie.

# 9 27-09-2004 , 06:36 PM
The Maya Mountain
Little bit of an edit above.

# 10 27-09-2004 , 11:17 PM
Subscriber

i am game

i am gameuser added image

Dae

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 11 27-09-2004 , 11:45 PM
rockon!

<font size=3 face=arial color=blue>S U R F E R M C D </font><br>
<font size=2 face=arial color=blue>www.winteractiv.com</font>
# 12 29-09-2004 , 08:52 AM
Lifetime Member
I agree with murph...

I think the challenges themselves are by there nature (to noobs) people like myself reward enough

Winning prizes is not the reason I enter these comps but it would be the icing on the cake if I ever did win.

Mike: What happens if somebody (like me) wins and they already own all the SM DVDs and also is a Life Time member to the site? (so point would be usless).

Mark user added image

# 13 29-09-2004 , 11:57 AM
The Maya Mountain
In such a case, we'd probably let you get a book instead.

# 14 30-09-2004 , 11:56 AM
Nice prize change!!! i like it, go for it this month!!user added image

Darkness Falls... From Where???
# 15 01-10-2004 , 12:19 PM
Fine for me user added image

yuko