Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-07-2006 , 11:52 AM

Polygons to Subd's [HELP]

Hi!

I'm new to Maya, and I'm currently constructing a car in Polygons, and am now at the stage where I'm converting the different pieces in to Subd's.

Ok. When i go to "Modify > Convert > Polygons to Subdiv" i get an error message:

// Error: polyToSubdiv1 (Poly To Subdiv Node): One or more edges is nonmanifold.
// Nonmanifold geometry cannot be converted to a subdivision surface.
// To clean up nonmanifold edges, use Polygons->Cleanup with the nonmanifold option. //
// Error: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details. //

I try using the cleanup tool (of course, i don't understand it too much)... and it let's me convert to Subdiv, but small gaps appear in the geometry. I don't know how to solve this problem... ¿can anyone help?

Much appreciated up front.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 20-07-2006 , 12:26 PM
do the poly clean up then go and merge the verticies in this area (they may look like on vert but just select the vert and then merge then) as you might have a couple of verticies that have no attachements, then try the poly to sub d

# 3 20-07-2006 , 01:39 PM
Thanks gster, that seems to have cleaned up de side panels (using the merge vertices tool), but the edges around the panels don't seem to be affected by this operation. It leaves rounded figures around the border (see pic for details).

¿Any ideas? Thanks up front.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 20-07-2006 , 01:41 PM
This is the whole piece (so you can get your bearings).

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 20-07-2006 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber
you have been extruding without the keep faces together option on, this can be found in Polygons -> Tool Options -> Keep faces together.
Basically you have exruded each new face as its own piece instead of one continuos mesh, as for cleaning it up you will either have to go in a merge each vertice to where it is supposed to be or if you have the ability undo turn keep faces together on and re-extrude them

# 6 20-07-2006 , 04:43 PM
Subscriber
Andrew, I am doing the same tutorial as you and had the same problem, but mine started with the hood. And as was mention try finding face that aren't needed and merging vertices. After alot of attention I didn't get it all to subD, but alot of correcting, at least on mine before it would subD.

# 7 20-07-2006 , 04:47 PM
Ohhhh....

Hmmm, seems like I messed up a bit, seen as I got the whole car done in Polygons. Oh well, that's the way to learn I suppose... :blush:

I'll go right in and fix that. Thanks to the both of you. user added image

# 8 20-07-2006 , 04:49 PM
Subscriber
Meant I did get it to work after alot of merging. And my faces were together.

# 9 20-07-2006 , 05:50 PM

Sorted!

Hi guys!

Well I managed to fix that small "hiccup".. in the end I decided to erase de edges, change the "keep faces together" option and re-extruded the edges.

It seems to have worked fine, baring odd vertices that don't seem to want to keep together... but no worries... I'm happy with whats accomplished...

Thanks gster123, sspikedudley and oldhippie_tom for all the help and advice. Hope to repay you some day...

user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 20-07-2006 , 08:51 PM
Subscriber
Andrew, as did I. I thought I had done a very good job till I started merging vertices and finding other errors.

I spent more time correcting the hood than it took me to model it. But it is still fun, huh?

I wih you luck!!!!