View Poll Results: Vote!
mastone 10 28.57%
THX1138 8 22.86%
sandman300 4 11.43%
mirek03 3 8.57%
bendingiscool 10 28.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 31-10-2007 , 01:17 AM
The Maya Mountain

Vote for your favorite Sept/Oct entry!

Here's your chance to pat someone on the back! user added image Keep in mind that the winner of this poll won't necessarily be the winner of the entire challenge.

# 2 31-10-2007 , 12:24 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I voted for THX's easter islands statue's, nice concept to bad that he didn't had the time to properly finish it, great work nonetheless

# 3 31-10-2007 , 02:00 PM
Senior Software Developer
My vote for this one goes to bendingiscool.

I like the toon feel and the lighting for this one.

Well done to everyone else the ruin one came a close 2nd. The Easter Island one was kinda put off by the texture on the easter island heads themselves, the bump was too high, and needed to be more subtle.

As I said well done all.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 31-10-2007 , 02:49 PM
Was Tweetytunes not in it? As it looked like he had some problems with posting his final, looking at the finals thread.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 31-10-2007 , 03:59 PM
The Maya Mountain
If he sends me an image soon, I'll put it in and restart the poll. I figured he would have put it in over the weekend.

# 6 01-11-2007 , 01:45 AM
19 year Veteran

Originally quoted by mastone:
I voted for THX's easter islands statue's, nice concept to bad that he didn't had the time to properly finish it, great work nonetheless

Cheers mastone user added image I never expected to get much intrest on my entry.

R@nsid: the displacement map on my Moai is very close to that of the real thing, and some of the real moai have more severe dissplacement than others. Check out the dissplacement on some of these real Moai.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by THX1138; 01-11-2007 at 01:50 AM.
# 7 01-11-2007 , 01:49 AM
19 year Veteran

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 01-11-2007 , 07:33 AM
I voted Mastone

I love the apocalyptic feel, especially when it happened to an american city aahah

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 9 03-11-2007 , 12:57 PM
Subscriber
i voted for sandman because its a good effort and not rigorously supported with image based back drops (i didn't know we could do that?)

take it easy and life will be easy
# 10 04-11-2007 , 02:13 AM
19 year Veteran
mirek03: There was nothing in the rules that said we could not use a photo backdrop; however, I totally understand your argument. I thought bendingiscool's entry had the most effort put into it. I thought you were going to do more with your entry. My only complaint is that objects under water shouldn't catch that much light. A close study of refference pics would have made a huge difference IMO.

I don't expect my entry to get even close to winning. All I have are 2 heads in frame, and your right, it's rigorously supported with an image backdrop. I'm still really amazed that I have 8 votes, but it all really comes down Mike and the judging, and I think Mike and the other judges will go with the entry with the most modeling effort IMO.

# 11 04-11-2007 , 04:47 AM
Tough choice this one as the finals were all great, in the end I went for Mireks, I really liked the feel of it and thought doing an underwater ruins was very original, just a shame that he didnt have time to finish it off properly.

But it looks like its going to be a close run contest!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 12 04-11-2007 , 05:05 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
"i voted for sandman because its a good effort and not rigorously supported with image based back drops (i didn't know we could do that?)"

I don't think all of the other entries are that much based on imageplanes.
I myself for instance, only used an imageplane for the skyline because of timeconstraints the rest is completely done in maya.
The picture of the new york inner city also wasn't done with imagebackdrops.
So to make a long story short; if you like it you like it, that's just a matter of opinion, only if you want to give some sort of argument try to give a valid one(nothing personal mirek

user added image )

# 13 04-11-2007 , 07:06 AM
The Maya Mountain
Winners posted in the Announcements forum!

# 14 04-11-2007 , 12:03 PM
Subscriber
i had no time THX to even think and its a wonder i did anything at all.., 7 days a week for 2 months doing students movies with them clawing at the door.., all passionate and stuff.., and .., welll, its a long and tiring story.., as far as using photographs., well we ar both in agreeance about that.., great textures on your model and if its in the rules well..?? why not.., i went for effort rather than looks so much.., though the desert sand looked too much like a windows screen saver LOL

i never expected to win but at least i was in the game user added image

as far as image plains in general.., if the shoe fits..!! if not.., who cares?

but some debate, at this hour in the day could be difficult.., let me think.., well we had over a month and theres a lot of tuts on external environments.., how about .., outright lazy?? hows that!!

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 04-11-2007 at 12:06 PM.