Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 23-07-2003 , 12:45 PM

animating a fish

yup... how would u animate a fish? i need to recreate a realistic movement of fish. maybe u know some good tutorials?

v.

# 2 23-07-2003 , 12:52 PM
you can do it procedurally. You could write an expression that could propagate a sin wave through the bones of a fish. That would be very very cool user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 23-07-2003 , 12:55 PM
I guess there are several ways. But to keep it simpel I think that using the flow path object function gives decent results. You might want to ad some extra animation to the body of the fish, but even without i seems to work.

user added image Jeppe

Jeppe Nygaard Christensen
Ghost aps, Denmark
https://www.ghost.dk
# 4 09-08-2003 , 03:00 PM
If you don't need the fish to be very close to the camera, you could just create 2 sets of blendshapes for the fins- one where they are in the shape of a sine wave, the other where the sine wave is opposite how it was before (the troughs are where the crests were) you could just shift between the two, and unless it was inspected closely by the camera no one would be able to tell.

# 5 09-08-2003 , 03:29 PM

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 6 09-08-2003 , 10:44 PM
Why dont you buy a goldfish and place it next to your monitor while you work?

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 7 10-08-2003 , 12:27 AM
There is a tutorial called "animating with flow" or something that produces ok results

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow