Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 19-12-2008 , 09:16 AM
Subscriber

Thompson

Started this yesterday, and once I started I couldnt stop. I feel pretty comfortable with hard surface modelling now, its the only side of maya I feel I could say I was a definite intermediate at. I have some areas to finish, there's a reload pin on the side by the trigger I want to add, aswell as the trigger, and a couple of small parts like that, but I wanted to show what i've done so far, cause I'm pretty pleased, and its not often with maya I get that. I want to texture it too, but i still have no confidence with laying out uvs and the thereafter, so while I'm still 'up', heres what I've got...

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-12-2008 , 09:20 AM
Subscriber
and another

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 19-12-2008 , 09:22 AM
Subscriber
another...(is there a way of putting all pictures in one post?)

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 19-12-2008 , 09:23 AM
Subscriber
and last one...

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 19-12-2008 , 10:30 AM
Subscriber
very nice - but it looks as if the upper part of the gun barrel needs some work (the barrel looks like its got a bend in it - which I`m sure would make the gun unusable in real life.

Don`t stress over UV mapping. Its really easy to get you head around it if you just sit there and do it and this gun looks like a very nice model to try and learn on.

But keep it up - looks good so far

# 6 20-12-2008 , 06:17 AM
Subscriber
what tweety said

and no you can't attach more than one picture in one post
if you want to do more than one you have to get yourself your own webspace and link to it (or do what others do here and use image shack(?) and link stuff from there)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 20-12-2008 , 08:13 AM
Acid44
looks good to me other than what's been mentioned, but i have to say, i absolutely hate 3d guns, not because they're guns, but because there's so much corners... the mesh never makes any sense to me because im so used to doing cars :p

# 8 22-12-2008 , 06:02 AM
Subscriber
I fixed the bend in the barrel. It looks better for it. Thanks for pointing it out. I was aware of that from pretty much the beginning,I started on the barrel. The bend is in the picture I was using as a reference, but now I've taken it out. It does look better.

Now I'm coming to texture it. Ive added the trigger. Stupidly I had modelled the whole thing, being largely, well, completely, symmetrical, and there was an odd number of divisions across its width. So i had to add an edge loop around the middle of the entire thing to be able to break it in two. Ive extracted the two parts that are going to have wood textures.

I was working through jays sand speeder tutorial the other day, and Im sure that when I pressed '3' to get a smooth version of the poly, when I rendered, it rendered the smooth version. With this though, when I press '3' for the smooth, when i render it, it renders just the basic '1' poly. Am i imagining this?

I practiced with a cube the other day and realised you cant texture the basic mesh, and then smooth it. So should I map the smoothed version(i.e, press the 3 key), apply mesh>smooth, or convert to sub-d.?

# 9 03-01-2009 , 12:08 PM
Subscriber
Update. Apart from the obvious seam stretching at the bottom and some dodgy spec map marks around and abve the trigger area, I was fairly pleased with this.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 03-01-2009 , 01:21 PM
Subscriber
adjusting some bump bits..

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 03-01-2009 , 06:27 PM
Subscriber
the wood looks good, but the metal textures need work. Also, the shadow on the back needs more tweaking, if you are using raytracing you need to crank up the number of rays, if you are using dmap you need increase the resolution of the shadow.

# 12 04-01-2009 , 12:06 AM
Subscriber
what would you suggest with the metal? I think it looks a little matte. i've played with the specular settings and eccentricity as a blinn material but it doesnt much help. I switched it to an anisotropic, and that definitely gave it a more 'wet' look, but too much so I think. bIm redoing the basic colour map to get rid of some of those white marks and lines

# 13 04-01-2009 , 01:09 AM
Subscriber
without the white marks in the colour, but metal still looking too matte?

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 04-01-2009 , 04:31 AM
Subscriber
It looks good but have to things I see on it that don’t look right.
1.Like where the clip meets the trigger.
It needs to be all one piece. It looks as if it was welded on the trigger. Maybe a bevel around that part will pull it together.

2.the barrel of the gun looks warped? Maybe that’s what you’re looking for but to me it’s stands out.

But in all it looks cool.

# 15 04-01-2009 , 05:04 AM
Subscriber
The barrel looks warped? The metal part of it was squashed in at one end in the beginning (see first few pictures), but I straightened it out since then. Do u mean the wood part of it? Im confused also about which part in the trigger area you mean. do you mean the actual trigger itself?