Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 22-05-2003 , 05:21 PM
Subscriber

New update on the 3D encoder

If it could be modified to create CV-curves, It would be awesome.

Remember, the scanner is not really a scanner, but more a 3D encoder that encodes the X,Y and Z coordinates of a pointer, so the plan was to use it to encode points along the surface of the car, like the outlines of the bonnet, and then do some birail+ or lofting to create the surfaces.

So basically, I need a script/plugin that reads the data from the com-port, and creates CV-curves from the coordinates.

The chip is programmed to transfer the X,Y and Z coordinates in 2x8bit words, then folowed by a control byte telling if its the beginning of a new curve, a in-curve point, or the last point of the curve.

Another usage for this deviceis 3D painting. As you know, the pain-tool in MAYA is limited to X and y, but with my device we could add the Z coordinate to the paint tools, or any tool with the right programming, but thats a bit far out, and not really what I want (not yet anyways).

Status for the hardware:
Completed the encoders, and presicion logic.
Completed a beta of the chip software (*)
Working on designs for the lightweight framework.

(*)The chip reads the data from the encoders, converts it to readable X, Y and Z data, and sends this formated datastring to the COM port: "XXX.XXX,YYY.YYY,ZZZ.ZZZ,C"
The coordinates is a value from 0 to 65025 for each of the axes and the "C" is the control byte. Currently "C" is 0 for curve start, 1 for in-curve point, and 2 for cure end point. Of course this is can be changed to anything I´d like, cause I´m doing the programming user added image

All I need to do to display the data, is hook the device up to COM2 (or any COM port) and fire up hyper terminal in windows, and connect through the com-port, and the data wil opo up on the screen.

So what remains is just constructing the rig.
I`m considdering using fiberglass and aluminium, and polished steel rails for the static ground rails.

Anyways, the work is coming along quite nicely, and soon I´ll get some money for the construction of the encoder rig.

-DX-
# 17 23-05-2003 , 01:39 AM
yeah if you're doing it as curves I think it should be fine. let me just try a very quick test (bearing in mind it's late!!) user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 18 23-05-2003 , 06:00 PM
ok I can do it (I think! user added image)

I've done a little test script which will dump out some curves. is it possible for you to modify what you've got to create a text file that will produce data in the following way:

POINTS 5
P 1.0 0.0 0.0 0
P 2.0 0.0 0.0 1
P 3.0 0.0 0.0 1
P 4.0 1.0 0.5 1
P 5.0 2.3 1.5 2

POINTS 3
P 1.0 0.0 0.0 0
P 4.0 3.1 3.6 1
P 3.0 0.5 1.7 1

Where POINTS is where a curve begins, the next number is the number of points and then when it has a P the next 4 numbers three floats and an integer are the point data?

if you can then I think the script should work.

Let me know

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB