Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 17-06-2010 , 06:19 PM
The thin red line

Time for a update

Hi All
Is it just me or is it time for this site to get a gereral update, the board is getting slower as far as I can see. dont get me wrong I realy do like this site (first one I posted any of my models) tutorial also need updating with more on zbrush, photoshop or premier in the maya work flow............dave

# 2 17-06-2010 , 06:39 PM
EduSciVis-er
I agree, there needs to be a bit of a kickstart or boost or something. Not sure what exactly, but I think a new challenge couldn't hurt, whether it be user or moderator initiated.

# 3 17-06-2010 , 08:42 PM
The thin red line
Hi stwert
Im thinking total update, new pages with a lot of 3D graphic paid for with advertising(good products not crap)?, challenges were the winner gets on the gallery if good? Tutorials were the end product is good for a production on (tv,film or magazines) I am sure there are other things that could be improved............dave

# 4 17-06-2010 , 09:06 PM
EduSciVis-er
Well that's a pretty lofty goal, and I'm not saying it's not something to try for, but smaller steps might be more reasonable at this point, I don't know.
For example, I think there could be more challenge promotion/involvement/shorter turnaround and as you say, incentives like getting into the gallery would be awesome.

# 5 17-06-2010 , 09:10 PM
The thin red line
Hi again stwert
Im just looking at what other sites are doing, the gallery thing is my idea for some one to have a reason to be in a challenge other than points.........dave

Edit: just looked at what I have posted makes it look like I am saying we should aim for the top end of 3D thats not the case, I think this site has help a lot with poeple new to maya and should allways do so

Last edited by daverave; 17-06-2010 at 09:23 PM.
# 6 17-06-2010 , 09:51 PM
The thin red line
Last thing tonight if you look up you will see Simplylightwave and Simplymax click on them ...........dave

# 7 17-06-2010 , 09:54 PM
EduSciVis-er
Not sure what you mean with the other Simply sites... they look pretty much the same as this one, but with fewer visitors... user added image

# 8 17-06-2010 , 09:56 PM
The thin red line
Most of the posts are dead. click on them

Last edited by daverave; 17-06-2010 at 10:04 PM.
# 9 17-06-2010 , 10:29 PM
The Nurb Herd
how about a new simplymaya logo challenge...

# 10 17-06-2010 , 10:43 PM
Subscriber
I would like to see some more advanced tutorials around lighting and rendering, different fg and gi settings, shadow settings, more advanced shader set-ups etc. The modelling and general starter tutorials on this site are brilliant, but the lighting and rendering section of the video tutorials list only has two (short) tuts. I think the hard thing really is that, dave, when you mention more tutorials about production quality stuff, most work of that calibre tends to be generated by mulitple bits of software, zbrush, as you mention, PS, Nuke, etc. Under the banner 'simply Maya' I guess that becomes a bit of a contentious area. And tutorials for those other bits of software can be found elsewhere.

I know where you're coming from overall in the overhaul stakes, though.

# 11 17-06-2010 , 11:32 PM
Lifetime Member
Dave,

I havent been here long so probably not much in my reply but,

first up stwert I agree, small steps dave, no point giving it all the grunt first time around. Why not a quick easy comp (not necessarily Maya related) with a free tut or something to the winner for a new page outlay, look or ideas for such??? Give it a makeover, cost effective and will make the site appear fresh.

DONT overdo the advertising but mate, the last thing I would want to see is a squillion ads getting in my way, if you know what I mean. I am a member here (creative crash too) but I like this site, it seems simpler and less daunting than the others.

You could also have the gallery noms put up in an area voted by the members as well as mods and prizes that way.

I agree with ben too, more involvment on the other stuff, its all good having modelling tuts but when you do (Im getting there) need the other stuff SM doesnt throw a lot at you. Maybe giving the add ons a better go is a good way ben??

Logo challenge sounds cool, make it simple but effective, new pages etc would be a good and simple start. Like all you Gods keep telling me on modelling, simple first then build from there?

I think the logo one sounds good, a simple one even the noobs can have a go at (nothing godlike) and voted by members. The winner gets a free tut?? gallery for the logo?? T-shirt/stubby holder with the logo on it. A small trophy (real) with the logo on it???

Im watching

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 12 18-06-2010 , 01:00 AM
Lifetime Member
Maybe a few more 'anatomically' correct organic tuts??? I think hard surface is easier than human faces etc so a few of those??? I dont mean complex, things likes faces/heads, hands and feet etc??

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 13 18-06-2010 , 01:30 AM
Modeling is pretty much moving away from the big programs like Maya, XSI, MAX and is pretty much all being done in programs like ZB mud box.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 14 18-06-2010 , 01:54 AM
Lifetime Member
Forgive my noobness Kurt, is that just for organic or modelling in general?? and why?? I thought Maya would nearly have it all, though if the other software packs are cheaper then cost as well.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 15 18-06-2010 , 02:09 AM
Z brush can petty much do it all now both organic and hard surface. What is making the big programs loose ground against Z brush is it ability to do things so much faster then say in maya.

Example in Z brush i can create, UV map, texture, and make displacement maps 1000 times faster. Back in maya you have to layout the uv's and hand paint a flat map which in it self took so much time.

The big programs are great for animation,and FX but as far as modeling they are really falling behind now.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb