Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-02-2004 , 08:33 AM

Problems: Rendering my headlight

Hello,

Question 1:

I am trying to follow the tutorial on headlight rendering at https://www.animagraph.com.br/DeathBr..._car_light.htm and when I set up the entire shading network of the glass shader and the chrome shader something doesn't work and I don't know what.

The chrome reflectivity seems to be working via the image I am using, but the glass shader isn't taking the bump map. Its like its not even bumping it in the least.

Question 2:

With the setup this tutorial gives, how would I layer mud on top of the glass shader? Is there a better way to make headlights?
Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

Chris Radcliffe
1-912-308-8961
# 2 25-02-2004 , 12:45 AM
Subscriber
is the glass a seprat object ? and is it UV maped if its poly or subD ?

# 3 25-02-2004 , 03:05 AM
Yes, the headlight glass is separate. Half a sphere thats been squashed flatter to give a better dome shape. Its all poly, no sub-d.

I hadn't mapped the glass part, I figured that the material shader would take care of the coverage. Maybe I should UV map the glass and post the results.

Good idea!

Chris Radcliffe
1-912-308-8961
# 4 26-02-2004 , 04:53 AM
To layer mud on top of the glass you'll need to use a "Layered Shader" which can be found under the "Create Materials" bar in your Hypershade window. The Layered Shader allows you to combine one or more shaders together. In the Layered Shader attributes I believe that the left-most layer is considered to be the top. Experiment with it and see what you get.