Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 29-04-2006 , 03:05 AM
Subscriber

APache Modeling Problems... Please help

hello... I am having some trouble modeling the Apache. I am up to the point in the training video where he ads the smooth proxy to it. I have the model as close as I could get it to the model in the video. But when I turn the model into a smooth proxy, the geometry gets all messed up. I have checked for verts on top of verts that needed to be merged.. never found any. I did run clean up and it said I had a five sided face. BUT.. the apache in the video has that SAME five sided face that I have. Also.. when I do ad the smooth proxy.. My input options box is different. I don't know what to do. I am using Maya 6 if that mean anything. Any help would be GREAT!!

I have included a Jpeg I made with the intention of asking someone here at simply maya.. but I had trouble sending it to them. This is a very detail pic of what I am having trouble with.

# 2 29-04-2006 , 03:06 AM
Subscriber

hmmm...

hmmmm... I posted a pic.. but I don't see it in the post.

# 3 29-04-2006 , 03:28 AM
Subscriber

ok

ok i think i fixed it

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 29-04-2006 , 03:38 AM
Subscriber

close up

here is a close up of the bottom half that is hard to see

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 29-04-2006 , 11:58 AM
The tutorial was done with Maya 5 and since then Alias has changed the smooth proxy. In 6 and 6.5 it's different and in 7 it's a bit different again. Basic idea is still the same. In your case you'll adjust Exponential Level where I adjust Divisions.

For the other settings you'll just have to play around with and see what gives the best result. During the tut I keep cleaning up the base mesh all the time (not every step is shown) and that will affect the result of the smoothed mesh too. Don't worry about doing the mesh just like I did. If some other way works better, use it.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 6 29-04-2006 , 04:41 PM
Subscriber

thank you very much!

Thank you very much for your help! I was wondering about the exponential level being the same as divisons.. but when I messed with it I got worse results... But I will play with it more! Thanks once again!