Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 04-02-2007 , 11:09 PM

Human/Biped Modeling Pose

Hey Guys

Ive recently been getting into character modeling and rigging, my question is whats the best pose to model the character in (biped human type) for rigging and animation.

Should it be -

A - Arms out to the side "T pose" hands flat

B - Arms out to the side "T pose" hands with the thumbs pointing up

C - Arms slightly down in an "A pose" hands flat

D - Arms slightly down in an "A pose" thumbs pointing up

Im asking about the hands as what would be the best if your using a 2 joing system in the forearm , so you get the forearm twist?

Also the overall pose as the arms slightly down might make it easier on setting up a "realxed" pose (arms to the side) with out painting too much weights (as I've read somewhere but not too sure)

Also would you model the arms straight out or with a slight bend in the elbow so that it makes the IK rigging easier or jsut address this with the placement of the joints?

What do you guys think???

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 2 05-02-2007 , 02:20 AM
Subscriber
I like the D.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 3 05-02-2007 , 07:13 PM
Subscriber
I always model my characters T shaped hands down, this way the natural twist from your elbow to wrist is modelled with correct line flow, where as if you model palms facing the camera, the twist can usually be overlooked and cause problems when animating. I have found modelling in an A shape terribly awkward and pointless unless you do not plan on rigging the character and is basically a prop, as it can be a pain modelling the accurate deformation especially between chest and shoulder/arm pit area. It is by far easiest (for myself at least) to model arms spread T position hands down, that way the limbs are extended and you can further appreciate the muscular exaggeration rather than a relaxed pose.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 4 05-02-2007 , 08:17 PM
I tend to go for B, dont know why tho....err wheres Jay when you need him! lol

EDIT: What j5 is saying makes sense

# 5 06-02-2007 , 09:13 AM
Cheers guys

Im thinking more A as thats what ive been doing for a bit, also what do you guys model the arms, straight out or a slight bend, as you need a little bend for the IK handles to work correctley, so do you use the geo to create the bends or offfset the joints to force a bend?

Yeah Need Jay/Vlad/Mike etc etc to have a butchers at this!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 06-02-2007 , 11:44 AM
Subscriber
It depends on the model itself, if it is 'loose' clothed then I will probably build it with the arms slightly bent forward, but with a 'tight' clothed character or one with arms/flesh showing I tend to build them arms straight to get the muscle definition correct, then bend them a touch forward when it is rigged ready for ik. I think this is a matter of personal preference rather than a generic workflow.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.