Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 25-05-2015 , 10:43 AM

multiple objects in one uv set

hi,

title says it all really - if I have a number of smaller items on a model, can I combine their relative UV's into one uv set?

I'm in this situation because I've used zbrush to generate quick and and dirty UV's and then sent the meshes to maya to create an FBX for Substance Painter. ZBrush doesn't lend itself to combining and separating objects easily, so if I could do just this part in maya but avoid the painful unfolding rigmarole of maya's uV tools I'll be happy!

# 2 26-05-2015 , 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
Are you trying to keep all the shells in the 0-1 space? If so then you could select the separate objects and run the layout command (might want to adjust shell spacing options though), then run a poly combine.

- Genny
# 3 01-06-2015 , 09:01 AM
hi, yeas that's what I did in the end. I though the combine command would wreck the UVs but obviously they were fine. I imagine it's probably not the ideal solution though, if one exists!

keeping them in 0,1 space yeah - I'm not that up on UVs in general so simpler the better user added image

thanks!