Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 19-02-2004 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber

mike's shark

Hi Mike,

Liked your shark tutorial - gave me a chance to use some new tools. I'm in the process of working out a shader. Reference material that I've found seems to be mixed. The shark
seems to have a very hard rough surface that shimmers in direct light. The rest is more diffused, almost velvety like. I thought you might have some experience with sharks and was wondering if you had any ideas on this.

cheers!
/matt

# 2 19-02-2004 , 08:27 PM
The Maya Mountain
I don't really have much experience with marine life, unfortunately, but from what little I think I know user added image I believe the skin of sharks is a bit leathery, almost like a hide. Might want to look it up at scientific sites that know more than me, though. user added image

# 3 20-02-2004 , 08:32 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Mike,

I think you're right about the hide. Ever written a shader for glitter?

/matt

# 4 20-02-2004 , 10:17 AM
Subscriber
Why not take a trip to the local aquarium and have a really good look. If you can chat to the staff there, they may give you some ideas about what makes up the skin, how flexible it is etc.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 5 20-02-2004 , 02:11 PM
Or take a look at wetpixel or rodales. Wetpixel is the leading site on underwater digital photography. Rodales also has a great forum where you can find divers posting their links. Sharks would look different underwater than on land due to the way light is filtered at various depths.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."