Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 16-02-2004 , 05:08 AM

good 3d card to use with maya?

I'm using a radeon 9100, and having serious probs in maya...from speaking to a few other people having similar problems, it seems to be the radeon's fault.

the main problem is getting frequent unavoidable crashes when in orthographic views in textured mode (ref. planes)...the crash even locks the cursor, forcing a hard reset to get the pc running again.

anyway.............

assuming the ati card is the prob, i'm looking at a geforce fx 5700..
i've heard that a lot of the fx cards are just crap, but the specs of the 5700 seem to put well above my radeon which is good enough for me performance wise...

is this a reasonable card to use?
is there a better one for a similar price i should go for?

thanks for any advice..

I consist of mostly water.
# 2 24-02-2004 , 04:15 PM
I would check Alias site for the list of compatable cards. Also could check out tomshardware for benchmarks.

# 3 27-02-2004 , 01:06 PM
yes, check out the aliaswavefront site, they list cards that are certified, like the nVidia Quadro4 series of cards.

A conscious power has drawn the plan of life...
# 4 27-02-2004 , 01:08 PM
I run a gforce fx 5600 with no problems, (but dont get the latest drivers as they cause screen lockups and other corruptions) crappy nvidia!

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 27-02-2004 , 04:40 PM
I use a gforce 440 dual and works fine if you use old drivers, like Pure_Morning said. ATI I heard allot of problems with people.

# 6 03-03-2004 , 05:39 AM
Subscriber
I have a really old vidoe card. Its not even AGP, its, er I forget the term for it but its the one before AGP =). Its a Radeon 5000. And I works fine for me.

...PDI...JPI...ISP...gah what is it?!

# 7 03-03-2004 , 08:07 AM
Subscriber
PCI

That'll do donkey... that'll do...