Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 01-05-2006 , 11:56 PM
Subscriber

Kurts Dragon Tut

Ok so I figured since ive been modeling for a short amount of time, let me give this a try. ONE PROBLEM already. I bought a new computer so I had to install maya on it and now, my images when I put them on a plan, doesnt come out right. Look at the picture and if someoen can help me, please comment because I dont know what i did wrong

Ok so since you can see the image plane problem, It looks like I have to do this project with just my eye. Lets see how good my eye really is now that I have to eye ball it. Well one good thing can come out of this is that alot of good modelers dont use image planes anyways so It can help me understand the whole 3d thing but I can also screw up very bad so check leter on tonight for some pics

Attached Thumbnails

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 2 01-05-2006 , 11:58 PM
no dont wing it.

Look for a similar problem in the basics and newbie forum- it has been done to death.

Theres a string u add to the Maya .env file... but do that search and it will fix it. Im sorry I don't know it.

hope that helps
Matt user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 3 02-05-2006 , 02:04 AM
Subscriber
Man too bad I didnt read your reply earlier. I already started this tut by winging or eyeing it so adding the plane wouldnt work and I don tfeel like starting over. Wow this sucks but what can you do. Well thanks, I got it to work but trying to align the plane like I said didnt work out quite well since I already started. heres what I got so far

Attached Thumbnails

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 4 02-05-2006 , 02:05 AM
Subscriber
I havent started adding details on the beak since kurt didnt even go into doing the beak yet so I dont want to add wrongful details. Im still working on the eyes and cheak area so that should be finished hopefully by tonight.

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 5 02-05-2006 , 03:16 AM
Subscriber
ok im done for the night but this is what I got. Ill put more detail in tomorrow but I got work at 6 am so imma call it anight. I tried to take a screen shot of how kirts looked compaired to mines but for some reason, it wouldnt display his because i took the screen shot from WMP i dunno buto well, heres it

Attached Thumbnails

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 6 02-05-2006 , 05:37 AM
Subscriber
Ok so it looks like im giong to be very tierd at work tomorrow. Ahhhhhhhhhh

Attached Thumbnails

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 7 02-05-2006 , 11:59 AM
Subscriber
wow mate ....

have lots of coffee at work . . .. looks really good so far ..love the detail in the face. looks like you did it in record time too .lol ..

to take a screen shot of kurts and then yours you have to change some settings in WMP to take it ...easy way is to just use a screen capture device made for video ..if you want to know how just PM me.

gosh shocked you eye balled it ...

one thing that i see that bothers me is the beak ? personally i think it is too far back or too long ...cant figure out which ... cause it shortens his snoat as it is now or it is too long and farther out than lower jaw . but that is just me

Last edited by mmoore5553; 02-05-2006 at 01:26 PM.
# 8 02-05-2006 , 04:36 PM
Subscriber
Yes its alot longer. I wanted to go with the longer beak because his big teath are going to be placed right behind the lip of that upper beak which is even with the lower beak. I made those 2 even which ill show you through a sde shot, but that snouth part has to be longer or else the teath will be too far back for what im giong for but it all depends on what your going for. Im doing this tut but im giong to make some differences because I dont personally want to just copy, just use it as a reference to how to do organic modeling but thanks on the comments, the mroe the better so I can nkow what im doing wrong. Ill send you my file so you can see what i did to get detail since you were having problems with it earlier.

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 9 02-05-2006 , 04:46 PM
Subscriber
gotcha ..that makes sense. I like it so far ..cant wait to see updates.

thanks for sending file to help

# 10 02-05-2006 , 11:33 PM
Subscriber
Ok so im at work bored so I decided to get some more done. Damn I love my job. Anyway, I did the wiskers or whatever you want to call then. Most dragons have short wiskers but I made mines long because I always hated how short ones look so I decided to just go with that I like. Well since dragons arent real in the first place, I decided this is going to be how I would want one to look since there is no wrong in making somehting that doesnt exist unless you consider a lizzard a dragon

Attached Thumbnails

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 11 03-05-2006 , 12:21 AM
lol, sure I understand every word you said user added image user added image

Yeah, the wisker things are looking nice, keep it up! user added image

# 12 03-05-2006 , 03:02 AM
Subscriber
Ok so my shift at work just ended so heres what I got so far. Ill prob work on somemore tomorrow morning but heres the details I was able to add during work. I need alot of help but so far its comming along

Attached Thumbnails

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 13 03-05-2006 , 12:01 PM
Subscriber
very impressive ..i think i need your job ..get paid and work on maya lol ... i am in the wrong field . it is coming along real well. Record time also .

cant wait for more progress

# 14 03-05-2006 , 10:08 PM
Subscriber
ok heres another update, I got teeth and a horn. Im working on the bottom lip now. As of now, I fully understand why kurt cut out the detail sections because this dragon has too mcuh detail. I would be finished with the whole thing if i didnt add all the details but MMoor, just keep at it because its alot of cuting, adding, and pulling of verts and lines. Keep practicing and if you dont like it, undo it and keep at it until you get the result you want. Ive prob spent 10 hours on this and 8 have been on the details so dont get fustrated if you dont get it right aweay because im not getting it right away either, but if you try, you'll prob get what you want. well heres more, I gotta take my lunch break so ill prob continue later on

Attached Thumbnails

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 15 03-05-2006 , 10:31 PM
I think that the nose is a bit too flat, and that the thing above the eye is a bit too boxy.

But apart from that- great job!user added image