Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 24-07-2008 , 03:54 AM

Quick reflection map?

Hi,

I'm rendering out a turntable of a model. My render times are too high due to reflections. I have never created a reflection map before. Normally it is something I would read up on but I am really, really pushed for time at the moment (Project due for submission a week today).

Is there a quick and easy way for me to create a reflection map, based on the HDRI image I've got surrounding the scene?

cheers

gubar

# 2 24-07-2008 , 07:42 AM
Subscriber
In the Render Globals, right at the bottom (of mental ray options) there is a tab saying environment (this is for 2008 version anyway) in there you'll find 2 buttons, one to create 'physical sun and sky' and the other to create 'image based lighting', click on that one, in the attr editor you will get options to plug in your desired image and such.

Thats a really quick idea of what you need to look into, hope it helps.

Chris

If you need more info keep the questions rollin lol

# 3 27-07-2008 , 09:04 AM
Hi there,

the technique I am using is pretty similar to that - it just doesn't use the environment node. I was wondering really how you can create an actual map, where there are no true reflections but they are besed on a file instead.

cheers

gubar