Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 24-11-2008 , 09:15 PM
SM Tea Boy

New Tutorial - Sand Speeder - HiDef

Well its here guys really excited about this one you can check it out here https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...tml?tut_id=162 and view a sample here https://www.simplymaya.com/daves/speeder_teaser.mp4

Welcome to the first SimplyMaya.com showcased tutorial we hope to release one of these per month. This one is brought to you by Jason Edwards author of the popular internet 3D comic strip Outlaws Tales. Luckily for us Jason has just finished a series for the Discovery channel and has kindly consented to spend some time working with SimplyMaya to bring us a series of new tutorials the first of which we present to you in our new Hi Definition video format. [View Sample]

Simply Maya brings you this brand new 14 part hardsurface modelling and texturing tutorial in conjunction with Outlaws Tales. The tutorial is aimed at people who have an understanding of the fundamentals of Maya , Photoshop and Zbrush.

The project begins by setting up image plains in Maya to use as a reference guide for the start of the model, then gets straight to business by blocking out the basic forms using polygons. The following chapters then take you through an overview of a modelling process to help you finish the vehicle off. Techniques such as looking at real world references, path extrusion, radial placement and mesh extraction of objects are covered here as well as the standard modelling tools of Maya.

Once the majority of modelling is over its time to begin setting up the model for Engine Wiretexturing and how to set up a uv map and optimise it in Maya’s Texture editor. On completion of the uv map the next chapters look at creating texture maps to help give the model a more realistic look. As well as using Photoshop for this process, you’ll be introduced to Zbrush. Using both programs separately and also in unison, you’ll see how to quickly achieve good looking textures.

In the final chapters the textures are placed onto the model ready for rendering in a scene using just a 2d image as a background and a ground plane for shadowing. Then, rendering using Mental Rays Final Gather and a few spotlights, an overview is given showing how to make the Vehicle ‘fit’ into the 2d backdrop, similar to techniques used in motion pictures and television.

user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 2 24-11-2008 , 09:53 PM
Acid44
looks and sounds great, good job Jay!

# 3 25-11-2008 , 04:02 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
thank you Acid

I really hope people enjoy it and gain something valuable in one way or another that will help them get more out of their 3d.

cheers
Jay

# 4 28-11-2008 , 11:46 PM
Subscriber
i might get a part just so i can hear your voice! user added image
which ones go over the rendering?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 29-11-2008 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber
Hey Jay,
Just purchased part 1 of this tutorial to check out your style of teaching and around 23 minutes in the audio starts popping so you cut off halfway through words etc. not too big a deal but still kind of annoying, don't know about the other parts yet.

Rob

*Nevermind, seems it was quicktime just being slow*

Last edited by sspikedudley; 29-11-2008 at 12:30 AM.
# 6 29-11-2008 , 09:43 AM
Hey Rob

Its okay this end mate, on the original, might be a problem from the other end, after compression etc. have you downloaded the hd codec as David mentioned on a previous post:

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=31416

also try downloading again in case it got hammered on the way down.

Send and email to Dave to check it out, just in case though, we cant be having that.

cheers
Jay

# 7 29-11-2008 , 09:45 AM
LOL

sorry Rob

Ignore my comment, I just saw your edit on the nd of the post about your quicktime...I actually thought it was your signature LMFAO!!

cheers
Jay

# 8 05-12-2008 , 04:31 AM
Subscriber

No Instant Checkout?

I noticed in the details page of the Sand Speeder that it mentions an "Instant Checkout" price, but there isn't a link for Instant Checkout.

Will this be updated, or should I just ignore it for now?

# 9 05-12-2008 , 07:40 AM
Ignore it for now, I believe its being sorted out as there were a few probs with the setup...

cheers
Jay