Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 22-03-2010 , 04:34 AM
Technical Director

Maya 2011

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 22-03-2010 at 05:26 AM.
# 2 22-03-2010 , 04:43 AM
Pshh, that is not all that is changed, and Maya has needed a UI overhaul for years; I think it is a big step toward bigger changes.

Check out the thread over at polycount:
https://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=70775

I, personally, can't wait.
This is a bigger update to Maya than I have seen in a long while.

P.S. The viewport 2.0 looks amazing.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 22-03-2010 , 05:20 AM
EduSciVis-er
The way I understand it (which could very well be wrong) is that the new UI framework allowed them to implement 64-bit for Mac OS X... that's not nothing for all those mapple people out there.

I don't really see how you can infer that maya is being phased out from this update. Lots of new things that don't happen to be in the modelling module. How substantial they are is a matter of opinion.

# 4 22-03-2010 , 05:25 AM
Technical Director
Wow. Thanks a lot for bringing these to my attention! I didn't know about these new features. I only read the first page. Bad me! Bad!

I'm right now watching the demonstration from GDC here: https://area.autodesk.com/gdc/ondemand11 Lots of cool stuff!

I'm wondering if you can change the color scheme back to normal, as I find these dark interfaces hard on my eyes.

I think one of the most exciting things to come is syntax highlighting in the script editor! Woo! (Am I the only one? user added image)

Not too big on the new open dialog though.

Thanks again mate. Looks like it will be a very good release.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 22-03-2010 at 05:49 AM.
# 5 22-03-2010 , 04:22 PM
EduSciVis-er
So is syntax highlighting like color coding the scripts? I think the auto-complete feature sounds cool too. Maybe that's the same thing. Either way, I'm more interested in getting into scripting.

# 6 22-03-2010 , 05:39 PM
Yeah I have to agree it looks like they are setting a good foundation for future improvement to maya. So I will cut them some slack for not adding a great deal to the modeling tool set. Hopefully they will begin adding improvements to the modeling tools in upcoming releases.

I'll be upgrading just for the better view port 2.0 and qt UI.

Although I hope I have the ability to go back to the light grey background. Some may like the gradient blue one but I have to tell you I find it very distracting. I am nearly 50 and can see like an eagle, six months of using that blue gradient thing and I would be blind as a bat!

I am not sure I like the dark grey gui either. But I am assuming there will be a way to change that back to the light grey as well.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 22-03-2010 at 06:27 PM.