Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-02-2011 , 02:26 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net

New PC

So I think it is time to buy my self a desktop, my laptop is way out of date and I cant affored to get a nice new one...im on a pretty tight budget with school and all. But anywho I was looking at Best Buy's website and saw these two PCs, what do you guys think?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pav...&skuId=1879083

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-...&skuId=1972671

The second one is kind of pushing it money wise but if its worth the extra money and I can get it in the store I would try for it.

# 2 08-02-2011 , 10:23 AM
Subscriber
not sold on the first one really - the second sounds alot like mine (i7 8gig) but always get the best you can afford.

# 3 08-02-2011 , 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Rip offs. A $100 and a $200 cpu bundled with a meager bit of basic generic components. The video cards are email/surf net worthy at best, 128 bit are you kidding me? (that's like what $70), a card reader you can get for $10, a DVD burner for $20, a hard drive for $50 and an OEM copy of Windows home premium. First rig has 4GB of DDR2 RAM (speed not even specified in either deal). And don't ask me why they put a socket AM3 cpu in a mobo that uses DDR2 when most use DDR3 (and that RAM is cheaper lol) All stuffed inside a cramped case. Then you have to shell out more $$ for a monitor, maybe even speakers and a keyboard/mouse setup that won't destroy your hands. They're both awful.

You could check out the Dell site user added image

- Genny
# 4 08-02-2011 , 06:41 PM
Also note the second one is based off the Sandy Bridge architecture, which has a flaw in the chipset on the motherboard. The SATA2 interface will degrade over time and can ruin devices plugged into them. The SATA3 interface does not have this problem though, if the board supports it.

Intel has found the solution and is releasing new boards, that should be out sometime this month. So, if you go that route, it may be best to hold off till the new boards are out.

# 5 08-02-2011 , 07:06 PM
Yea the only reason I am looking at best buy is because I have a credit card there so I can afford a bit more from them

# 6 09-02-2011 , 02:55 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
why not assemble the parts yourself you will end up saving alot

# 7 09-02-2011 , 04:52 PM
I would like to make my own but Best Buy only sells RAM a few GPU's and thats about it, at least the one by me. I figured if I bought a cheap pre built from them I could just try and upgrade it when I have the money....I also figure anything is better than the laptop im using now, Gateway MX6454.

Also my desktop is like 8 years old, I think it has like a 1.6 single core with 512 megs of ram and a 256 video card from like 5 years ago

# 8 09-02-2011 , 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Newegg.com is what I've used for years, they have everything you need, and never had a problem. You can get yourself a purdy case that you can stuff with all the goodies you need and nothing you don't! Lol this is not a plug and I'm not affiliated with them, I just love building PCs and watching em' work.user added image

- Genny