SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / How to animate the mouth

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

28-11-2007, 01:00 AM   #1
Tobsen

How to animate the mouth
Hi Iīm still doing my animation project for my studies. Now I finished the modeling part of bart simpson(I know he doesnīt look really good but Iīm really new to maya and donīt have much time).
So I would like to animate the mouth. I thought about the opinion to realize it via blendshapes, however I get stuck in tranforming him to get his mouth closed. When I do it, it looks really inorganic.

Would be nice if anyone of you guys got any suggests. Also what I could maybe improve.

Thanks a lot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bartimage.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	37373  
28-11-2007, 09:59 AM   #2
djknucklez1

What I sometimes do is select a few vertices around the mouth and create clusters (under deformation) on the selected vertices. Then I move them around to wehre I want them and adjust the weights of each vertices under component editors>weight deformation tab. I erase the history and the clusters and make a blendshape. THere are many ways, this is one of them.
28-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Tobsen

Okay thanks I will try it.
I still got another problem because the whole body including the head is made out of one polygon. Is there any posibility to create the blender just for the head.

Sorry for asking so much, maybe silly, questions but no one in my university can really help me and I didnīt find anything via google.
28-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
djknucklez1

you can't, since it's all one mesh it needs to keep all that info for the deformation. I'm sure you already saw the deformation gets messed up or it doesn't read the mesh when you create a blendshape, if you delete the faces of the body. It's a hassle but that's why you should create a layer for your blendshapes and hide the visibility once you're done. That's why I use clusters for the deformation.

FOr example, when I want to create a blink for the eyes i create 2 clusters for each eye, a total of 4 for both eyes. One for the top lid and another for the bottom lid. Then I change the pivot, for each cluster, to the center of the eyeball and rotate the cluster according, so that the lids close and then adjust the weights on each vertice through the component editor so I can get a nice deformation when the lids close. Much more simple than blendshapes. After I'm done adjusting the weights, I'll use set driven keys to control the clusters via a Curve control. That way I don't have to open up the blendshapes window when I want to animate the blink.

Last edited by djknucklez1; 28-11-2007 at 12:11 PM.
28-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
wokendreams

make the edges around the mouth hard, this will help a little too.