Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 29-09-2012 , 12:30 AM
Administrator

Free Friday Tutorial #16: Wire Mesh Modeling in Maya

Learn to create a wire grill pattern with geometry by wrapping a curve net around a polygon shape and getting the mesh to conform. Many thanks to ctbram for making this tutorial.

Wire Mesh Modeling in Maya - YouTube

Please let us know if you have problems with the video playback.

# 2 29-09-2012 , 02:26 PM
Hi I just noticed this was up. I want to apologize that it's not a very polished video. I recorded these on the fly as a kind of video log book where I experiment with different ideas and techniques, so they are rather crude.

I have gotten in the habit of adding my SM nickname in the the front in the event that I see someone in the forum asking a question I can just point to the video. I have a complete folder full of howto- and quicktip- and ideas- videos. Camtasia is an invaluable tool and I find recording things easier and more understandable then trying to write notes, which I invariably lose.

To improve the result above and give it a weaved look you could rebuild the curves and then offset every other cv. I am thinking this would be great for things like an old vintage microphone.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 30-09-2012 at 01:10 PM.
# 3 30-09-2012 , 04:56 AM
Subscriber
Hi All,

Thanks so much for sharing this with us - it's a great technique!

I wanted to mention that you can also adjust the paint stroke radii simultaneously (without using expressions/coding) by making the strokes share a single brush node. You can then using the global scale slider on the stroke's brush node in the Attribute editor. This option is found under Paint Effects>Share One brush.

I did a quick screen capture here:

https://youtu.be/xeK-e8tqRIw

Thanks again for all the great resources!

Cheersuser added image

Simon

PS wasn't sure if it is OK to link to youtube from here so apologies if it's not!

# 4 30-09-2012 , 12:30 PM
Excellent. I did not know that option existed to combine the strokes into a single brush node. That is certainly easier then my mel script. Thank you for adding that into the link.

-Rick

Oh and it's certainly fine to add the youtube link. This is a great way to collaboratively refine these experimental techniques and ideas.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 30-09-2012 at 05:39 PM.
# 5 30-09-2012 , 01:37 PM
SM Tea Boy
thanks priimate nice to see someone expand on these techniques.

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 6 09-10-2012 , 02:57 AM
Super Moderator
I'm just plum outta luck on my iPad. Getting nothing but an image.

- Genny
# 7 09-10-2012 , 03:56 AM
SM Tea Boy

I'm just plum outta luck on my iPad. Getting nothing but an image.

Sorry it's 1080p and an RTPM stream so ios devices are out of luck. I'll add support for ios in the near future.

It's a huge pain in the backside to support iso. I just need to run and and buy something to do the testing. I'll throw it up to you tube tomorrow for you.

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 8 09-10-2012 , 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Sweet, thanks! user added image

- Genny
# 9 09-10-2012 , 09:55 AM
Lifetime Member
Strange. I'm on iOS6 and I can view the video in 720p.

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 10 09-10-2012 , 04:40 PM
SM Tea Boy

Strange. I'm on iOS6 and I can view the video in 720p.

Can I ask what ios device your using?

# 11 09-10-2012 , 05:25 PM
I know the iphone 5 and 4s support ios6 and the iphone 4 has limited support for it. Not sure about the ipads. I am not really much of an apple fan. I don't own anything but an iphone 3 (which I love although it's slow as snot).

# 12 09-10-2012 , 05:31 PM
Lifetime Member
I'm using an iPad2. I don't use Safari though. I use Tapatalk.

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 13 31-10-2012 , 11:52 AM
Banned
Thanks for sharing this user added image