Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-04-2007 , 05:02 AM

ball, colour, shine?

Hey, Im trying to make a 3d object for a movie im doing, this will be my first 3d experiment and I choose to do a pokemon theme, I need to make whats called a pokeball
user added image
(google image if confused). I can make a ball, I just need to know:
1: How to do the line in center and circle thats pushes out
2: How to make top red and bottom white
3: How to make the ball shiny and realistic

Thank you so much, as this will be great for my movie making,
Thanks as always
Lunixninja

Last edited by lunixninja; 18-04-2007 at 05:07 AM.
# 2 18-04-2007 , 10:54 AM
Subscriber
for a start down load the free tuts, the names of them will help you get what you need quickly, they are about 10 minutes each and you will be a million miles ahead and will understand the answers that are given to you, maya is a language as much as an app.

cheers and good luck, if you get no joy, I'll help you or one of us will but get those tuts into you.

some of the answer goes like this.., 'depends if you use nurbs or polygons'.., with me there??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 3 19-04-2007 , 01:40 PM
before trying to tackle something as potentially complex as this, i'd have to suggest that your 'middle gray line' is independent geometry. the top half, the gray, and the middle should be all shaded differently, but that's just my opinion.

Accept no substitutions.
# 4 19-04-2007 , 02:03 PM
Subscriber
we're not getting a response to work with, unless linuxninja is watching the free vids??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 5 02-05-2007 , 06:14 AM

How to make a pokeball

Hi i'm Tammy, a newbie here. I found an easy way for you to make a pokeball, and I wrote a whole tutorial about it for you.

The zip file has my tutorial in it, so extract it and you can read it to get a feel for how I made a pokeball. Enjoy the tutorial.

-Tammy

Attached Files
File Type: zip pokeball tutorial by tammy.zip (101.6 KB, 224 views)
# 6 04-05-2007 , 01:33 AM
I actually created a pokeball when I first started like 1 month ago :/, was going to make a pokemon massacre for shock value purposes but never got around to learning how to rig the &%$# characters. Anyway, heres a pic, yes i know there horrible and i still ask myself how I created a Bad pokeball but somehow i did. there pretty cartoony lookin!
but as for your questions
if using polygons i suggest scale in the middle faces of the sphere and extrude them inward to get the middle line, and your best bet would be just be to make a small thin cylinder for the middle circle. You can use Ramp shaders (by going to Window-rendering editor-hypershade- click Phong - go to its color settings, pick Ramp and adjust the color there if using 8.5 or 8.0) and set the color there. Also the Phong will give you the shininess you need. But Im guessing tammy had that in her post. This is the pokeball I created 1 month ago, its unrealistic so im sure youll blow this one away disgustingly...

user added image

Yay, not a freshman anymore!

Last edited by kinddoggofwar; 04-05-2007 at 01:52 AM.