Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 12-06-2007 , 04:35 PM

Summer Challenge - Perfecto

Deciding between Pirate and Ninja but leaning toward ninja.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 2 13-06-2007 , 03:30 AM
I've decided to do a ninja. I'm thinking about doing a more sinister, darker kind of ninja because I could probably get a little more creative.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 13-06-2007 , 04:42 AM
The Maya Mountain
Looking forward to it!

# 4 13-06-2007 , 11:53 PM
Working on different concepts. This is just a quick sketch and final design may or or may not look similar. I like the pose so I don't think I'll change that. I want it to be an action shot. Still working on head designs and outfit.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 5 14-06-2007 , 12:03 AM
Thats one helluva ninja. I like the demonic style, keep it up.user added image

# 6 14-06-2007 , 12:17 AM
Thanks Weyu,
I'm fixing to do a search for demonic heads to get some ideas. I sketched up some ideas last night but I just couldn't seem to get that fierce look I'm after. I think one of the main keys is the eyes somehow. I'll probably spend a full week on nothing but character design.

Exceed Expectations!
# 7 14-06-2007 , 02:34 AM
Subscriber
Great start m8. I've been reading a most enjoyable book lately on character design. It's actually called Digital character design and painting and it's by Don Seegmiller.
It works as methodology on how to approach character design no matter what media, as well as an introduction to Painter (Corel Painter) and how you can apply some of the thought process in this program. Some step by step, but more of principles and how to's as well as showing you features of painter.
Maybe this book is available at the local library? I highly recommend reading it and I hope our work will step up a couple of notches in quality from it user added image

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 8 14-06-2007 , 02:37 AM
Subscriber

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 9 14-06-2007 , 05:48 AM
Thanks a whole heap for your replies AlphaFlyte. I'll definitely check to see if the book is available as I can use all the help I can get. I figure that the better my design is, the better my model will be so I want it to be just right including proportions, colors, etc. I'm also going to try and draw a front and side view of the final design in the divinci pose. Hope I can do it.

Exceed Expectations!
# 10 17-06-2007 , 04:50 PM
Hey Man

Any updates on this, looks like a nice concept youve got so far.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 11 17-06-2007 , 05:39 PM
I should begin modeling no later than Thursday but hopefully sooner. I may go ahead and model the swords and the throwing stars tonight though since they will be pretty simple to do.

Exceed Expectations!
# 12 17-06-2007 , 08:41 PM
19 year Veteran
Sounds awsome, looking forward to seeing the progress...Yarrr!

# 13 19-06-2007 , 10:56 PM
I ended up creating a website tonight so I didn't get started on the modeling like I was planning to do. I may create a box or something just to say I started, hehe. But, will put in a couple of hours of modeling tomorrow night. I'll post whatever I have, the following day.

Exceed Expectations!
# 14 20-06-2007 , 08:47 PM
This is the final look I'll be going after. I'll be adding throwing stars across his chest. The head design is sort of a mixture between a drawing I saw on the internet and the bad guys in Star Trek Nemesis (the Remans I think). I'm going to try and somehow texture his skin similar to the Remans.

My work flow thought process.
1. Box model head to as close a possible to concept.
2. Model body in different file using polygon primitives.
3. Model hands and feet in different file.
4. Import all body parts into one file and combine.
5. Model weapons
6. Model clothing
7. Rig Character
8. Bind and paint weights
9. If time permits, texture
10. Pose & Render

Time to go model...

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 20-06-2007 at 08:52 PM.
# 15 21-06-2007 , 01:59 AM
Nice concept.

On the workflow front, I would probably model everything in one file using layers for each of the areas, that way you can switch on or off the layer to see how it all fits together, scale and proportion wise, if you get my meaning.

Just my 2 pence on it.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle